[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Does the name on the tin make a difference to you? JSA - Carers UK Forum

Does the name on the tin make a difference to you? JSA

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
I am starting a seperate thread as a discussion here was going off topic and was partly my fault.I apologise for that.

I would like to know how others here feel about the issues still surrounding carers/JSA/support to work etc.

Take a read of this too .. Care partnership managers should only be the start

From above...

1. A benefit that is worth just £53.10 for providing at least 35 hours of care per week - £1.50 an hour - should be a source of shame to the government. My teenage daughters receive more for babysitting

2. Recruitment of district care partnership managers started on 28 May. They should be in post by 1 September 2009.

With the creation of these managers positions everything seems to be getting geared up for carers to be transferred to JSA.

I remember at the event I went to at Newcastle last year regarding Welfare Reform.One of the DWP fellas came out with a cracker..
Maybe carers should change their mindset,after all its only a name on the tin( JSA ) and the importance lay in what was delivered.
More comments were threw back at him and then it was asked how would carers feel about moving to ESA if that came up as a proposal.At this point a gentleman from a Mental health group spoke up, to put the point across that carers do not belong on either JSA or ESA and if this government truly recognises their worth they will be treat as such.

I just want to add this is not against any carers who do need this help.I needed it myself after mam died.Maybe I was lucky to be allocated a good Personal Advisor from the Job centre plus but its about what is going on by stealth in the background.

These promises of help do nothing about the pitiful level of CA, the earnings limit, the study rule, CA stopping for pensioners or any other issue surrounding carers.

Taking all the above in to account....

What do others here feel about this? Does the name on the tin make a difference to you?
Yes "the name on the tin" does matter, but if CA is done away with (in name) I'd like to see carers paid DLA (apart from the DLA/AA paid to our carees). ESA would be absolutely inappropriate because of the pressure to seek employment (which ESA imposes) when a lot of carers have to come to terms with saying goodbye to any chance of a career.

My reasoning is that DLA is paid to make up for the increased expenses incurred by living with a disability, and I am disabled by association with my disabled caree.
Absolutely, a carer works for his or her benefit, other benefit recipients do not, we are not jobseekers or unemployed in the conventional sense of the word, most of us are over-employed working more hours than is legally permissable in the world of paid employment, so why label us as such.
Spot on as usual Parsifal.

Even working overtime in my last paid employment as a "care assistant" I was never allowed to work the hours I regularly put in now running two homes on opposite sides of the town.

If they can`t find jobs for the unemployed who want to work why burden themselves with carers who are overburdened and probably couldn`t work even if they want to.

Take care
Meg
What a good idea we change our mind set and accept whats on the tin they change their mindset and accept the fact that a Care Partnership manager to be able to answer my questions regarding my caree, my own health, problems with DWP, social services etc and CPD would need to be medically qualified with a back ground in benefits and about 20 years experience as a personnel manager.
Does the name on the tin matter?
Carers do exactly what it says on the tin, they provide care.
Why then put them in a tin which implies they do not work and are thus defined as unemployed?
on the whole,as a rule,in my view.carers who are able,can do so,want to,even,should be offered help to find work.

clearly,its a case by case affair.cases vary,differ.but,in principle,work,if,a person can even find a job now,let alone one with an employer who will accept carers on-board,is a better
option than not working for many reasons.i work 25 hours a week,i care for my caree well over 35 hours per week.im often drained,shattered and empty at days end,but,id sooner be working than not Image
Some good points made.All valid ones
Round here everyone calls JSA "the brew" anyhow Image
But no, carers have so little else at least give us the dignity of recognition.
That said....
Many carers do in fact move in and out of the workforce. I would like to see all carers of adult age given the opportunity to either work p/t or at least attend refresher courses, so that when their caring ends, they have the best chance of getting back into the workforce. Employers should recognise the skills involved in caring, which are considerable.
I would like to see all carers of adult age given the opportunity to either work p/t or at least attend refresher courses, so that when their caring ends, they have the best chance of getting back into the workforce..
Carers Allowance could be a passport benefit to access such help.