[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Anybody see Dr Hilary today (disability issues) - Carers UK Forum

Anybody see Dr Hilary today (disability issues)

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
Dr Hilary was visiting a couple of people (one woman with cancer and a lovely guy with MND) who had been told they were not entitled to disability benefits.

I sat their open mouthed because there are SO many people out there who get benefits and they're as fit as fiddles. There have been many in the news recently too. They seem to have the ability to get people in authority to believe they are not fit and healthy.

I know a young man and he's about 30. He has never worked since he left school. All he does is makes babies with his partner and live on every benefit going. He has a very slight deformity on one foot but he can play football with his kids, walk his very expensive pedigree dogs and drive a normal car. He is too ill to work though! Image
They have an expensive people carrier, all the kids have quad bikes and they go away in their lovely big caravan for weekend breaks.

How do some people get away with it while genuine people get ignored?
Funny you should put this on here today Penny.
My daughter is a single parent. She is on Maternity leave at present, but will be returning to work in a couple of months.
She is at risk of domestic abuse from her ex-partner, and they could not come to any agreement about him seeing the baby because he was so abusive). The law says though that he has a right to see the baby regularly, so she has gone to a solicitor. She has this morning, been denied legal aid as she is in employment. The ex-boyfriend will get it, as he is not working. (He was thrown out of the army two months ago).She is not in a highly paid job,she is a care assistant in a Retirement home, but she is happy there, and the money covers all the basics for her and Daniel. But there is something wrong with our system, if the father can just jiggle the baby on his knee once a fortnight(because he is unemployed and can't give any money to support his baby)and then hand him back to the supporting mother without any financial loss at all.
Have you read in the papers about the couple on 95k benefits a year, they have 10 children and he is a carer for his wife as she has scolliosis but she still manages to have children despite that, they are moaning that although the coucil provides them with breakfast they have to heat it up!
Some folk know how to milk the system for all its worth
Sorry, but since when did scoliosis cause infertility? Or are you saying that people with disabilities should not have children? I am sure that you are not but I think that we have to beware of doing the government's and tabloids' job for them by taking an atypical case and making the types of comments that mirror the attitudes towards disability which these articles want to encourage.
No I am not saying it causes infertility or that she shouldnt have children but 10 children if her own health is bad cant be good for her, also the husband wont work even though he could so why have so many children?
I think that whether having ten children is good for her or not is between her and her clinicians. As the law currently stands they have a legal entitlement to the benefits which they are claiming and CTC would be paid whether they were in or out of work.

Whether people think that their behaviour is responsible or not based on reporting which gets the basic facts wrong, for example, benefit rates, is a matter of personal opinion but I do think that parading these families as typical of benefit claimants when they are anything but typical is highly irresponsible of the tabloid press not only in terms of the damage which it does to the public view of claimants in general but also in terms of the welfare of the children.

I do not know this family or any of the other individuals or families who have been used in this way over the past month so I am not in a position to comment on them or their circumstances.
Scroungers have always existed in the same way that tax avoiders have but who costs the Country more?
We are living in times were people are being encouraged to hate anyone who finds themselves on benefits including or even specifically DLA, today it is the obvious scammers, tomorrow it could be any one of us!
Interestingly the Daily Mail which is so judgemental over benefit claimants is today advising anyone who receives a bill for unpaid tax that there is a loop hole they can look into.
I am currently on the receiving end of someone thinking they have the right to decide what if anything my disabled son should have no doubt encouraged by these extreme stories.
Be under no illusion over why we are seeing so many of these stories.
Vicky
I think that whether having ten children is good for her or not is between her and her clinicians. As the law currently stands they have a legal entitlement to the benefits which they are claiming and CTC would be paid whether they were in or out of work.

Whether people think that their behaviour is responsible or not based on reporting which gets the basic facts wrong, for example, benefit rates, is a matter of personal opinion but I do think that parading these families as typical of benefit claimants when they are anything but typical is highly irresponsible of the tabloid press not only in terms of the damage which it does to the public view of claimants in general but also in terms of the welfare of the children.

I do not know this family or any of the other individuals or families who have been used in this way over the past month so I am not in a position to comment on them or their circumstances.
The case I mentioned is of someone known to me personally but I could have named at least half a dozen more that I know personally. We all know it goes on and we don't need newspapers to tell us I will admit and they always show the worst ones.
There are enough adverts on TV and radio about benefit crimes thand they never really get to grips with it. I have known a few cases where people really have been entitled to benefits or extra help and they have been refused and they have needed lots of assistance to get what they are really entitled to. crfr
For some reason I am unable to edit my post or make corrections, so I hope my post makes sense. crfr is not some web-talk thing by the way, I just can't delete it! Image Image
[Why does this surprise people, the new ESA was bought in to limit people who can claim, on one hand they say yes you are entitled, then sorry you do not qualfy because,?.
There are alot of people who deserve benifits and alot who do not. The situation will only get worse, on the BBC news this evening, they had a reporter traveling round asking what the goverment should cut. An awful lot of people said benifits, the press find someone who should not be claiming, then ram it down the throats of normal people, making everyone think all claimers are the same. We live in a world of sensalisation.