[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
advice on income issues please - Carers UK Forum

advice on income issues please

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
Hi all,
I have a 20 year old son with cerebral palsy and autism. I also have three other children, I am a single parent although live with my partner he has no connection to the children.I have always needed to be around for my son and this I expect to remain the same. I have managed to find a part time job which I have held for 5 years, as it allows me to work form home or take him with me. This did result in me being over the threshold for carers allowance and council tax support which I lost. Having younge rchildrne meant I was able to survive due to income from tax credits. However, my youngest is now aboutt o turn 16, tax credits are continually reducing and I am struggling financially. Sorry if this has been covered before but I do not know where to turn and feel I will soon go under with bills. Does anyone know if there are any other beenfits or support I can get? I am trying to start my own business which would hopefully allow me to eanr enough long term and of course look after my boy, but in the meantime everything is so tight. If anyone has any suggestions it would be really appreciated. Thank you
Hi Loretta,

in our area you can ask Social Services for a referral to a Benefits Adviser, its a free service and they go through everything with you to make sure you can are getting the most you are entitled to, if you have questions about the various options they go through this with you as well.

I can always get a review of any PiP claims, either new or ongoing.

I had one for out family unit it was great, took few months but we got there. it really helped, my wife PiP got re-done and were successful in a higher rating.

As for Credits and Rent support, the lines are tight.

G x
Hello Loretta

I suggest you contact our own, very excellent, Adviceline for information on what other benefits you and your children could be entitled to. We have often found in the past that our team are far better than any adviser from the DWP !
Need expert advice? You can talk to the Carers UK Adviceline five days a week, no matter where you are in the UK or how complex your query is. We do benefits checks and advise on financial and practical matters related to caring.

Freephone: 0808 808 7777
email: advice@carersuk.org

Carers UK’s advice and information team based in London is undergoing staff changes. This means the Adviceline is closed on Thursdays and Fridays whilst we recruit and train new members of staff. We will be taking calls on Monday – Wednesday between 10am and 4pm. . You can email or write to the Adviceline and we will respond to your enquiries within five working days.

The Carers UK Adviceline also includes a listening service, there for you to talk through your caring situation with a trained volunteer who understands what you are going through. Available Mondays and Tuesdays, from 10am to 4pm.
If you can’t get through on the phones (lines are often oversubscribed) then send them an email, they’ll usually get back to you within 3-5 working days.

You say that your earnings take you over the threshold for Carers Allowance ? The threshold was raised this year to £116 per week; if your earnings are over this figure there are (quite legitimate) deductions you can make to bring it down - things like 50% of any pension plan payments. The Adviceline team will be able to advise, in confidence, on your own particular case (so need to discuss your finances in detail here !).