[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Advice needed please- I want to help mother care for father - Carers UK Forum

Advice needed please- I want to help mother care for father

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
Hi there,

I'm new to this and just starting to look into a possibility.

I work appx 20 hours a week at present, self employed, mainly from home as an ebay trader/market trader and I am in receipt of working tax and child tax credits as I am a single parent looking after my 11 years old son.

My mother is 79 and looking after my 83 years old father who can just about walk and needs full time care. He is often ungrateful and can be aggressive towards her. She really is feeling the strain and hasn't much of a life when, at her age, she should be taking it easy herself. My father gets attendence allowance by the way.

I really want to help my mother and we have talked about the possibility of me becoming a carer for my father part of the time, as I obviously wouldn't be able to look after him throughout the night and a lot of time during the day. 18 to 20 hours a week of help from me would give my mum a big boost.

I would love to help, but obviously need a small wage to live. My mother is willing to pay me and I am willing to pack in my present work to become a part time carer if I can remain on working tax credits to boost my income. At present, I earn very little, so I wouldn't be losing out financially if it is legally possible to go through with this idea. Excuse my ignorance, as I know nothing about all this, but is being a part time carer classed as paid employment, like any other employment? If it is classed as a form of employment for Working Tax Credit puposes, then great- I can become a part time carer for my father. Also, can I work for less than the minimum wage as my mum wouldn't be able to pay me much for my part-time help.

Hope to get some useful info from members.

Image Have a great day everyone! Image
Hi there

This is quite a complicated issue and you must seek proper advice.

If you are an unpaid carer for 35 hours or more a week then you may be able to claim Carers Allowance - if you do this you could still keep on some of your employment, as long as you don't earn a net amount above £87 a week.

Have a look at http://www.carersuk.org/Information/Financialhelp

If you are paid a wage by your Mum then you are an employee and/or self employed and different rules apply.

The implications of this could be big for you, so I think you should get some proper advice.

CarersLine 0808 808 7777 is Carers UK's freephone advice line.

Matt Hill
Dontworrybehappy - great username!!

Welcome to the forum. I'd go with Matt's advice on this one.
Thanks a bunch, Matt and Charles. Yes, it certainly is complicated! Will look into it right now and try to get my head round it all. Hopefully, I'll know what's what by the end of the day- or am I being a little optimistic? Luckily, I don't get headaches and I'll stick a bottle of wine in the fridge to chill for this evening as I'll probably need it by then!

Thanks again!