[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Actions members here can take - Carers UK - Carers UK Forum

Actions members here can take - Carers UK

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
Families' fears over disability benefit reform

Write to your MP to give them your views on the reform - find their details here
Carers UK has expressed deep concerns that the Government’s proposed reductions to the Disability Living Allowance budget could have a ‘devastating impact’ on family incomes.

In the Emergency Budget in June, the Chancellor set out plans to reduce the budget for Disability Living Allowance by 20%, around £1 billion. Carer’s Allowance, the main benefit for people who care unpaid for ill or disabled loved-ones, can only be claimed if someone is caring for a friend or relative who is in receipt of the middle or higher rate ‘care component’ of Disability Living Allowance, or Attendance Allowance. The £1 billion reduction is expected to come from existing claimants having their benefit reduced or removed following a new medical test for all existing and new claimants of Disability Living Allowance by 2013/14.
Read in full here

Mine done.... Labour MP.....lets see what replies we get.
I will wait and see.
I want to know about the proposed plans for more help to be given to the severley disabled and their carers, which they keep promising as a result of these cuts.
As yet I have heard nothing.
Rosemary, have you?
x
Hi Butterfly, long time no see. Hope you and yours are well.

I would not wait but contact your MP now. Reform of the benefit system is most definitely needed but the lack of details from the govt is worrying. Like CUK statement says...
Carer’s Allowance, the main benefit for people who care unpaid for ill or disabled loved-ones, can only be claimed if someone is caring for a friend or relative who is in receipt of the middle or higher rate ‘care component’ of Disability Living Allowance, or Attendance Allowance. The £1 billion reduction is expected to come from existing claimants having their benefit reduced or removed following a new medical test for all existing and new claimants of Disability Living Allowance by 2013/14.
The silence from govt is deafening regarding carers issues. I know there is more involved to carers issues than finances, for some it may be respite, help to work. However, Refresh Carers Strategy ruled out discussing carers allowance as it would be dealt with within the wider welfare reform. Yet the 21st century welfare paper ignores carers benefits totally.

It is hard just now to post in case looked on as scaremongering but for me these next few months are crucial to the actual continuing existence of carers in the future. I know there are some here who disagree with me about the 'tag' carers but for me it is vital the name remains.

We already know from threads here that the name on the tin does matter. Carers do not belong on an out of work benefit like JSA/ESA and considering the models suggested in the Welfare paper, I really cant stress enough how members here should be contacting their MPs immediately.
Does that include pension age Carers like me and JohnRJ Rosemary. We cant claim anything as Carers, even though we both Care 24/7.
I guess a letter from us might help the younger Carers to keep getting DLA and CA mind.
Contacting our MP is a complete bloody waste of time. I tried it twice two years ago with regards to the financial issues of being a carer. Still waiting to hear back from him. Too late now anyway as husband is now in receipt of Pension Credit.
However when we had that double suicide involving those chemicals in our town recently he was happy to get his mug in the paper vilifying the evils of the internet.
Hes not one to miss the chance of publicity to try and make himself look good.
Hes a Tory.
Contacting our MP is a complete bloody waste of time. I tried it twice two years ago with regards to the financial issues of being a carer. Still waiting to hear back from him. Too late now anyway as husband is now in receipt of Pension Credit.
However when we had that double suicide involving those chemicals in our town recently he was happy to get his mug in the paper vilifying the evils of the internet.
Hes not one to miss the chance of publicity to try and make himself look good.
Hes a Tory.
Look, we all know democracy has flaws, but frankly, what is the alternative? At least we get to chuck them out every four or five years if they are really dire, or just to keep them on their toes. Party loyalty is idiotic fatalism, the only kind of vote that has meaning is the floating vote.
theres no mention,again,as-ever,of carers who dont get allowances of any sort,yet ARE carers.Makes me tired. Image Image
theres no mention,again,as-ever,of carers who dont get allowances of any sort,yet ARE carers.Makes me tired. Image Image
Why should all carers get allowances regardless of means? .. I dislike this "scroungy" "what's in it for me?" feeling I get here sometimes. I'm not broke and I do regard caring as a natural part of life. I want a good quality of life for my caree, but as for cash handouts I am really not that bothered because I work, so does my partner, we dont really need them. I mean, sure we will take them if they are offered, but its no big deal to us. I'd rather have a tax credit, we pay a lot of tax.
For some carers, work is a net cost, Excalibur, because they (or rather their caree) don't "qualify" for support.
For some carers, work is a net cost, Excalibur, because they (or rather their caree) don't "qualify" for support.
Yes, and that needs thinking through - government can do a great deal to help. I'm working part-time on commission mainly because it was getting too expensive to fund pre-and-after school care when I worked and commuted 8am-6pm , though I must admit it quite suits me to earn less and have a nice work-life balance now. This week I have been working quite hard because Mrs Scally took the week off, as a result I have earned a very good commission, and that will go towards my next holiday. Not that I am that bothered either way really, sometimes I choose to live on the cheap, sometimes I choose to splurge a bit.