[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
7days on the breadline - Carers UK Forum

7days on the breadline

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
. i was brought up in that area of leeds, the programme makers seemed to have picked out the examples the worst of family's on benefit in that area, there are a large number of family's who portrayed as either "thick" and "dirty" in that part of leeds and it not accurate or true, i know one of people in the programme and i would not believe everthing that being said. in the 80s a tory mp did a similar thing and said it was possible to live on benefit. it might be ok for a short while but long term it is impossible to live decently.
I have this taped but not had time to watch it yet Geoff.

It can also be watched here for the next 29 days.You have to click to say you are over 18 but then it plays no problem.

Watch here
. i was brought up in that area of leeds, the programme makers seemed to have picked out the examples the worst of family's on benefit in that area, there are a large number of family's who portrayed as either "thick" and "dirty" in that part of leeds and it not accurate or true, i know one of people in the programme and i would not believe everthing that being said. in the 80s a tory mp did a similar thing and said it was possible to live on benefit. it might be ok for a short while but long term it is impossible to live decently.
But the MP concerned borrowed money to get to the end of the week, Geoff, and then had the brass neck to say he still thought he was right!
I found myself feeling sympathetic to the families, including the kids who were in trouble, but I suspect that those who have never lived on a less than subsistence income in an environment which is in itself depressing were sitting in their warm, tidy, well-furnished sitting rooms, quaffing wine and denouncing the families who were featured.

But what was the purpose of the programme, was it simply voyeurism or was it intended to seriously show poverty in Britain? It certainly was not intended to turn the families lives round, it would take a great deal more than a short visit from a celebrity to do that.
I think the intention was to show the underclass living off benefits, but what was interesting was the family who worked being equally affected by their environment as those on benefits.
I do wonder though how much editing goes on and what the participants are asked to do and say, clearly the disabled lady was shown up as a chain smoking, gambling freeloader.
When she started the programme stating ho many ciggies she had smoked I got the impression she was asked to say it, after all who in their right minds would make it look as though they have more than enough to live on even if they do, unless asked to present themselves that way probably for a fee.
Vicky
it all makes for good telly, in whose oppinion is debated, but remember, people do get paid
Some time ago we had an M.P. in Newcastle living on benefits he was doing very well then one bloke handed him a letter asking for £50 for an unpaid bill if i fremembber rightly he had about £3 left till dole day now thats what it`s like on the bread line
Still sticking with the disabled lady here but I'm sure they said her husband was her carer.

Thing is most of us carers have an extremely heavy workload that never involves fruit machines or bingo halls.
When Trinny asked her how her disability affected her she just said well some days are better than others in a kind of not too bad way.
Trinny should have been put in as carer to someone with altzheimers or a severely disabled child, she would be running screaming for the hills.
I know disability and caring are different for everyone but this looked like the extreme end of easy to me.
Vicky
I was surprised at how mobile, etc. she was and the amount of disposable income she appeared to have but it is impossible to judge on what is no more than a snapshot of their lives. The couple were nevertheless perhaps not the best example of the way in which being disabled and caring can affect one's life and finances.

At the end of the day these programmes can only scratch the surface of people's lives and the only real value I saw in it was the way in which it showed the genuine attempt of the couple who had bought their house to improve their and their children's circumstances and the difficulty they had in controlling the behaviour of their son which vividly illustrated the fact that poverty and crime are not simple problems with simple solutions which we can blame on the individual and the parents but the consequences of the interaction of a number of complex social issues.
The disabled woman was cared for by her x-husband. I think the fact that she had to use a commode and sleep on the uncomfortable looking sofa rather than climb the stairs to get to the toilet and bedroom were indicative that she has a fairly significant problem. I don't think she was the best choice to feature, given she had a major gambling problem that landed her in court. I agree it gives the wrong impression - that someone on benefits can go out and burn money playing bingo and fruit machines.

These programmes are getting on my nerves, whether its Fergie saving some council estate or these B and C-list celebs spending 7 days in a deprived area thinking they are going to do anything at all.

... and the thing that got on my nerves most was that former Spice Girl thinking that a gym membership would solve things! Words fail me for how out of touch these people are with life.