[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
A question about CA/AA and Pension credit - Carers UK Forum

A question about CA/AA and Pension credit

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
My mother was recently awarded AA, lower rate I believe, a couple days later she received yet another letter from the DWP with a short form to complete basically asking if she has someone who is a paid carer, does she have someone living with her etc. (She lives alone) it went on to say, if you are receiving AA you could be awarded a higher pension credit.
I do care for my mother but of course I am not paid for it, I fit it in with my normal working hours (16 hours per week)
I am concerned that my mother may have a reduction on her pension credit because she is now about to receive AA.
Also from what I have been reading on the net, should I apply for CA, this may reduce her Pension Credit, is this correct?
Thanks
Tricia
Hi Tricia

I can only give you a rough "ballpark" explanation - you really need to contact a welfare rights organisation or carers centre in your area for a detailed reply. Or of course you could contact the CUK CarersLine - details can be found here: http://www.carersuk.org/Forums/viewtopic.php?t=4010

Firstly, Attendance Allowance can usually only increase your mum's Pension Credit. It certainly won't lose any of it.

But any increase she could get would be lost if you claim Carers Allowance.
When I looked into claiming carers allowance it worked out that my nan would have lost more from her pension credit etc than i would have received in CA. As Charles said you need to contact somewhere like CUK helpline or a welfare benefits org.
Thank you for your replies, I'll give them a call after the Easter break. I really don't think I want my mother to lose out financially and if I were to apply for CA, this could well be the case.
Thanks again - Tricia
She should have the Severe Disability Premium added to her Pension Credit but she would lose this if someone received Carers Allowance for looking after her but I agree that you should check with a welfare rights organization where you can also check that you are both getting everything which you are entitled to.
Thank you for your replies, I'll give them a call after the Easter break. I really don't think I want my mother to lose out financially and if I were to apply for CA, this could well be the case.
Thanks again - Tricia
I didn't want Nan to lose out either so didn't bother claiming.

Karen x