[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
A Carers Card ? 2019 ... ReRevisted ... Now A Carers Passport ? Just A Rebranding Of A Tired Concept ? - Page 2 - Carers UK Forum

A Carers Card ? 2019 ... ReRevisted ... Now A Carers Passport ? Just A Rebranding Of A Tired Concept ?

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
My local hospital do a carers passport scheme, you can visit outside of visiting hours, you get reduced car parking and a discount in the hospital restaurant.

But as far as I am aware there is no carers card scheme in my town/county North Yorkshire.

I have seen shops offering student discount, I have seen discounts for NHS staff but nothing official for unpaid carers.
You can get a bus card which allows a carer with you to travel free, the local Theatre and cinema do discounts for disabled and carers.
If you are in certain unions you can get reduced car insurance, I got a cheaper bank loan as a member of one union but nothing for unpaid carers.
Despite the obvious need there is no discount scheme purchasing essential mobility items, walkers, rollators, mobility scooters etc.

I don't even get carers allowance as I am on long term used to be incapacity, now ESA.
Londonbound wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:52 pm
Despite the obvious need there is no discount scheme purchasing essential mobility items, walkers, rollators, mobility scooters etc.
They are at least VAT free for the disabled, (Who else would want them?) pretty much everything in the way of equipment is, right up to vehicles, and it's a sizeable chunk then.
Hello All,
I have been researching setting up this scheme through my work with my county council and came across this forum thread. I was just wondering if it would be possible to get your feedback on this idea. What sort of information would you like the card to hold? Is it more for discount benefits or ability to identify yourself as a carer or both? Any feedback you can provide will be fed into the development of the scheme across Suffolk.
Thank you for your help in advance.
Paid carers all have to have identity badges, as do social workers etc.,
All we want is something the same as them, i.e. name, photo, and name of issuing authority.
Then we can have carer discounts at attractions - you might also like to look at the Sunflower lanyard scheme as well, for our relatives who need extra help, gradually spreading from airports to supermarkets etc.

I'd also like to see family carers with a badge getting a bit more respect at hospitals. Some allow carers to visit outside visiting hours - really important for those of us in rural areas with other caring commitments.

Feel free to send me a PM if you like.
Certainly now topical again ?

Flashing one's carers card at the door of a supermarket come " Happy hour " would be useful ?

( My twirly card got me in this morning , even if the local bus service is now one an hour to anywhere. )

There again , empty shelves don't help ... perhaps strike gold on one's 3rd. or 4th. visit that day ?
Please correct me if I am wrong.

A nationwide carers card ... on the current Carers UK questionnaire ... or not ?
There is a quick and simple solution to this. Everyone who is disabled and receiving a disability benefit could be sent a card saying "the bearer of this card is caring for a disabled person". Maybe include the disabled person's NI number to help the government double check?
Any other ideas?
Whatever ... time does not stand still ... nor does coronavirus and all the difficulties that it has created.

With 8.5 million " Entitled " to one , even proposing how as many as possible receive one is open to some considerable debate ?

Even then , a card ready and available from tomorrow ... how to make those 8.5 million aware of it with direct Internet access now considerably reduced ?

If nothing else , coronavirus has been the catalyst for far too problems over the years now coming to the fore.

And , like coronavirus , those problems are both increasing and spreading.
By providing them to the disabled person, to give to the carer, it would cover all those receiving benefits. My son has many carers, it could cover them all equally.
Sainsbury's allegedly allows unpaid carers in during their "elderly/vulnerable hour", but when I asked what ID they needed nobody knew. The only "carers ID" I have is a card issued by the Carers Trust, and that doesn't even have my name on it, let alone a photo: it merely says that I have a vulnerable person at home who needs care, and gives 2 emergency contact numbers, so it's obviously only intended for if I have an accident or am taken ill in the street, rather than being official ID that I'm a carer.

But never mind. I went to Waitrose the other day, and was told by the security guard that next time I didn't need to queue - I could just go straight in "because over-70s are allowed to". Very nice - except that I'm only in my mid-50s! :lol: