[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
£95? - Carers UK Forum

£95?

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
I've received a letter today informing me of the rise in carers allowance. I also noticed on the letter it said I could earn up to £95 p/w. If I did this would it effect any other allowances, ie: income support etc? Or is it a mine field that would result in loads of paperwork etc?
[quote]I've received a letter today informing me of the rise in carers allowance. I also noticed on the letter it said I could earn up to £95 p/w. If I did this would it effect any other allowances, ie]

Yeah i got one of them.
You would loose income support!
The £95 rule only applies to Carers Allowance. Other benefits are affected differently - for Income Support you lose benefits on a penny for penny, pound for pound basis once you earn over £20 a week. But the Carers Allowance is only affected when your earnings are over £95 - and you lose the lot!
its just another layer of redtape that starts this year
wait till the tax office contacts you and all the other carers,
seems we are liable for tax and nis,
even if we have no income, above ca
if we cliamed carers allowance and the disabled person is claiming income support and dla ect,

Got a letter to go local tax office in the morning,
and explain why i have not told them,
When i am getting
carer allowance, and payed the due taxs and nis
While my wife is getting income support and dla ect,
and find to out what the hell they are talking about,
C.A. i get , is taken from the support money my wife gets,
Wheres the tax bit come in because at the end of the day i still get nothink,
I think I have found an escape clause - if you earn over £95 you need to look very carefully at all the allowable deductions, such as running a car if you need it for work (I do) , home office, national insurance, and, I think: (correct me if I'm wrong) pension contributions. So does that mean its worth taking out a private pension plan with the extra earnings to keep your carers allowance? Can anyone put me right? Charles, do you know?

Another thing - how does one calculate the cost of running a car? I get a modest mileage allowance, but that doesn't cover the depreciation or the maintenance, road tax, MOT, tyres, etc etc - running a car costs at least £45 a week on average when you count all these in. Mine is a 9 yr old banger with 125k on the clock, so its expensive to run (brake pipes need replacement next) but minimal depreciation. And would it be better to buy a new car and claim the monthly loan payments as an allowable expense? Is there a ready reckoner anywhere, or is there a flat rate they use?
On the car issue I've no idea, Excalibur.

The DWP allow half of any payment toward a pension - whether it be a works pension or personal pension - calculated as a weekly figure. So for example a £50 a month pension would count for about £5.73 of a weekly wage being ignored. Best to get advice from a welfare rights service, carers centre or CAB though as they can look at your whole situation.
If I earn £95, it'll affect my CA & IS & H/B & C/T, in short it not worth considering as I would only be £20 better off for working 16hrs p/w + 35hrs caring.
its all a load of bumcum to me Image
CA - Carers allowance
IS - Income Support
H/B - Housing Benefit
C/T - Council Tax

Poor Man - Me Image