[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
6 million Carers? - Page 3 - Carers UK Forum

6 million Carers?

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
Hi
I am one of the so called 6,000,000.
Now a few month's ago I reached the age of 65.
And all the time I had been caring I couldn't get C/A because of the overlap rule then when I reached 65 I was told I would get pension credit and I would get carers premium.
So I thought good then my occupational pension that I got from my employer who I worked for before I took early retirement was paid to me I thought good at last we can live a bit better.
No I get a letter telling me my pension credit is cut by the same amount as my occupational pension is.
Now we are back to square one and included in my pension credit which is less than the amount £27 which is the carers premium.
Now we are worse off than before and I paid for my occupational pension and contributed to my state pension.
Now can I asked a question how severe does a person have to be to get severe disability allowance as I had never heard of this till I read about someone getting it on this site please help if you can and let me know about this allowance.
John.
If you're talking about Severe Disablement Allowance, John, it was "killed off" by the Government in 2002. Some people are still getting it but there is no way to make a new claim for it.

It was designed for people who were disabled (I think what was referred to as 80% disabled but memory is a bit vague about that) and unable to work from school age, or who had not worked before - some married women were able to claim it, for example. Now you have to claim Incapacity Benefit, which stops at pension age anyway.

And it was one of those benefits that "overlap" with everything else, so you'd have been no better off.

If I were you I'd contact a welfare rights organisation in your area to see if they will check your entitlement to benefits - they may come up with something that will help.
Matt: this heavy end/light end stuff was way out of order; you dont actually know how many hours we forum users are caring for. Actually neither do we - it all depends what you call caring. There is heavy end caring, the back-breaking stuff ...well yes we all do that to a greater or lesser extent...and there is light observational caring...and yes we all do that too. But I am not that interested in using a stopwatch...to me we are all carers, and that should be quite enough. I leave the rest to the health economists and the paid employees to bicker about..and sometimes I wonder why they are so obsessional about this. We don't clock on and off you know...caring is with you 24/7 even if you arent actually shovelling sh*t at the time. We are carers, that should be enough. Dont fall into their stupid economic paradigm...caring is a lot more important than economics and our staff need to wise up to this.
Carers UK uses the figure 6 million based on the census. It is about 12% of the adult population.

However it is important to realise that the vast majority of carers are caring for less than 20 hours a week. Whilst caring still has an impact on their lives we are not talking about the kind of 24/7 caring we see on this forum. At the heavy end there are 1.9 million people caring for more than 20 hours and 1.25 million people who said they were caring for more than 50 hours a week. These are the carers for whom caring has the biggest impact, on their health and wealth.

Although it is now a couple of years old this PDF Carers UK briefing contains all the data on carers. It also explains why estimates of how many carers there are can vary. (in the past estimates have been anywhere between 4-8 million) The briefing also gives information on who carers are, where they live etc

Download the briefing "Facts about carers 2005"
(note this link is a PDF document and you need Adobe Acrobat software to read it. Software comes with most PC's but if you don't have it, it is free from http://www.adobe-reader.co.uk/)
I agree Excalibur.

But remember also that too many of us underestimate what we do.

A few years ago I was helping carers to apply for funding under the Carers Special Grant, and the amount received depended on the number of hours people were caring for.

Most underestimated this by a huge margin. I remember one in particular who didn't realise she was caring for three people, not one. For the one she knew she was caring for, she thought she did about 14 hours. When we looked at it together we found it was over 50 - and that the others were over 20 a week. But she was certainly not alone in this. When you do something as a matter of routine it doesn't stand out enough to be counted. I wouldn't mind betting that the census figures wholly underestimate this area and that nearer 50% of carers are doing more than 50 hours.

Maybe there should be some solid research into this?
there as to be a cut of point from when it is normal family responsibility and when it becomes more. That is when the government should provide help.

Ireland's policy towards carers as being mentioned before as an example of how well they look after there carers. No one mentioned what the requirements for receiving this benifit is.

Ireland's governments website [LINK] *

If we all moved to Ireland tomorrow less then 1 million of the six million carers would receive this benefit, No different to this country.

The difference is what they receive, that is what we should be fighting for.

If you qualify for CA if the overlapping rule was not in place.

These are the people who should receive more help from the government.

* LINK EDITED BY STUART FOR TECHNICAL REASONS
Actually the figures rises by a million each year so i am told by various organisations.

Yes the overlapping rule is a bloody travesty of justice against Carers in our own rights.

Who would have thought that state pension is classed as a benefit l understood that everyone paid a stamp for or contributions my granny was 86 when she finally retired as a senior nursing sister who came out of retirement 3 times to help kingscross hospital in dundee as they were short staffed.

kenneth2dundee
If there are that many carers why not have a day of direct action converge on London and bring it to a stand still a few days like that and they would have to listen
I have created an e petition to lobby Gordon Brown to abolish this dreadfull overlapping rule click link below or go to News and petitions forum if we got 6 millon names we would be cooking on gas

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/oldagecarer/
Kev you said that you class a carer as someone who looks after a severley disabled person, so in your eyes I'm not a carer, as my partner is not severley disabled. In fact some days (not many may I point out) you would struggle to know anything is wrong. So the fact that sometimes my partner can be in so much pain, (her doctor puts it on a par with going through labour) she can't even stand, and it's me who's there trying to ease it (even though the majority of the time I feel bloody useless as I can't do a thing), I'm not supposed to class myself as a carer. It's me who has left work after 22 years, cleans, cooks, helps the daughter with homework etc, feels totally ashamed I'm on benefits, despairs I can't ease my partners condition, hate myself for sometimes not showing how much I care as I'm scared I'll totally crack up and so not be able to handle the responsibility, I could probally go on and on, but I probally sound like a self pittying prat already. The point is if I'm not a carer, what the hell am I, because I'm certainly not a benefits cheat
Nobody here would deny you're a carer.

It's dangerous though for us to go round and say "this person is more/less of a carer than that person." We only know what we see for ourselves, and sometimes what we see is not the whole picture. This is why I for one do not talk about "deserving" and "undeserving" carers - that went out in the Victorian age and I would hope it won't come back.

Every carer needs more help than they currently get - those at the "lighter" end of caring may just be a hairsbreadth away from the "heavy" end - and a little more support now could be keeping them away from that workload forever. I'm all for that.