[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
6 million Carers? - Page 2 - Carers UK Forum

6 million Carers?

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
official government statistics state There are 464 thousand recipients of CA and 360 thousand entitled to CA but not receiving it due to the overlapping rule. A total of 824 thousand
Kev, there are two different points here.

Firstly, there are 6 million carers. At least - personally I think there are more, for some of the reasons you mentioned, and because there are (in my view) a lot more young carers out there. They didn't complete the census form, their parents did - and some might have been worried that their kids might get taken away if they told the truth. Others might not have recognised that they are being cared for. Anyway, I do believe that the census is the most accurate set of figures available.

Secondly, the matter of how many need financial assistance. More than the government states, I'm afraid. The government also states that there is £13 BILLION in unclaimed benefit - mainly in disability and carer benefits. Ask most people about benefits and they do not have a clue what is available or whether they may qualify. So, although I can see now what your main argument is, I'd have to say that many more than 824,000 need more financial help. And that doesn't include working carers who work part time and just miss out on Carers Allowance, which would make a huge difference to their income.
Thanks charles47

The term carer means different things to different people and that's the problem,

example
My mother who is 76 and diabetic lives with my sister and husband, and they look after her to the point that they spoil her. My sister and brother-in-law do not regard themselves carers, They regard themselves as normal people providing family support.

Some people in the same situation would regard themselves as carers,

who's right and who's wrong?

At the the time of the census someone might have being looking after someone due to an accident, ticked the box, unpaid carer and two months later they are back at work. They were carers at the time of the census.

The majority of the population are carers in some way or other if they have family.

You can not leave it to the individual to decide if they are a carer or not, people have a different perception of the meaning,

People who provide 24/7 care to the severely disabled are lost in the confusion,

I honestly think if you meet the criteria to receive CA if the overlapping rule was removed is the point when it changes from normal family life and responsibility to receiving help from the government.

Kevin
right my view is-- if there are 6 million of us then bloody stand up and be counted!

paid or not,, overlapping rules or not just get the point across BEFORE the next boat of illigal immigrants come across
Well said pixienubbins.

Tonyxx Image
Carers UK uses the figure 6 million based on the census. It is about 12% of the adult population.

However it is important to realise that the vast majority of carers are caring for less than 20 hours a week. Whilst caring still has an impact on their lives we are not talking about the kind of 24/7 caring we see on this forum. At the heavy end there are 1.9 million people caring for more than 20 hours and 1.25 million people who said they were caring for more than 50 hours a week. These are the carers for whom caring has the biggest impact, on their health and wealth.

Although it is now a couple of years old this PDF Carers UK briefing contains all the data on carers. It also explains why estimates of how many carers there are can vary. (in the past estimates have been anywhere between 4-8 million) The briefing also gives information on who carers are, where they live etc

Download the briefing "Facts about carers 2005"
(note this link is a PDF document and you need Adobe Acrobat software to read it. Software comes with most PC's but if you don't have it, it is free from http://www.adobe-reader.co.uk/)
Thanks for the reply Matt
1.9 million people caring for more than 20 hours and 1.25 million people who said they were caring for more than 50 hours a week. These are the carers for whom caring has the biggest impact, on their health and wealth.
I have never heard of these figures.

Saying there are six million carers implies that all carers should receive financial and practical help. It also puts the government in a position to deny help to the 1.25 million due to the cost.

As i said in a previous post the 1.25 million (census) or the government figure of 824,000 are getting lost in this figure of 6 million and being ignored.

What we should be saying is that there are 6 million carers with 1.25 million provide care for more then 50 hours, These are the carers for whom caring has the biggest impact, on their health and wealth.

Kevin
Carers save the government millions every year. How is it that they cannot help carers financially yet they have money to put up new signs (on the paliament in Edinburgh) various conferences in hotels for a wek and other rubbish that they spend tax payers money on. As far a financial help is concerned my partner cares for me 24/7 and is given 48 pounds a week for that which most people could and do spend on a night out. Also this amount is taken off Income Support so really htere is no gain whaso ever and at it was said earlier on in this post that the young carers are too young to fill in the census so there are alot of carers out there that we do not know about. Lets hope tha the short change cards can make some kind of difference to the financial situation. I am also awarded severe disablement allowance which is again taken off my income support so what is the point of being awarded it. Lets just get the whole benefit sorted so there are not people living on the bread line who have enough problems in their life already. Alison Image
Carers save the government sixty five billion pounds per year.

Tonyxx Image
What we should be saying is that there are 6 million carers with 1.25 million provide care for more then 50 hours, These are the carers for whom caring has the biggest impact, on their health and wealth.
Agree with you Kev. If you look at our latest campaign, you'll see that is exactly what we are doing.

http://www.carersuk.org/Newsandcampaign ... ordonBrown

The first line reads -
"Over a million people are caring unpaid for family and friends for more than 50 hours a week. For many this makes it impossible to live a normal life – to get or keep a paid job or just enjoy their retirement. In return all carers can expect is Carer’s Allowance of just £48 per week. Benefit rules mean some, especially those over 65, even miss out on this. "

Matt