[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
6 million Carers? - Carers UK Forum

6 million Carers?

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
I am not including child carers, This in itself is a national disgrace and should be the priority of the government.

I am trying to look at this in a practical way that can be understood by someone that does not suffer the difficulty's of being a carer. I hope I do not offend any carer and yes I am a unpaid carer

Were does the figure 6 million Carers come from?

First off I regard a carer someone that provides care to a severely disabled person regardless of age who are unable to take care of themselves due to there disability or illness.

Looking at government statistics there are 2.86 million recipients DLA and 1.50 Million recipients of AA. This is a total of 4.36 million. Not all the above people will need carers.

There are 464 thousand recipients of CA and 360 thousand entitled to CA but not receiving it due to the overlapping rule. A total of 824 thousand. (figure does not include child carers)

Some of the above carers will be looking after more then one person.

From the figures above there are 824 thousand people who have had to give up the ability of leading a normal life to look after someone that they love due to disability and illness

From the figures above 6 million is very misleading and plays into the hands of the government, in justifying there claim of not having enough money to help.

I do not know were the figure of 6 million comes from could someone tell me?

Kevin
Angry.

Tony

Image Image Image Image Image
Why ?
The figures come from the census - from carers themselves.

Remember not everyone knows about or is able to claim benefits, so they are the least reliable form of counting...
So you are saying over 5 million people are not aware that they are entitled to carers allowance
How accurate is a census

Matt as stated that a number of people phone carers UK for careers advice. Paid carers have posted questions on this board. So how many ticked the box that they were a unpaid carer by mistake.

Also one person that regards themselves a carer, while someone else in exactly the same position would not and except it as normal part of family life.

I think the term carer is so diverse that it becomes difficult to distinguish between normal family duty and people provide help to the severely disabled.

The government have allowed this confusion to continue to justify doing nothing, Its easier for the government to say we can not afford to help 6 million then to say we can not help 800,000

Kevin
The census question asked if you were looking after someone - unpaid.

Didn't ask if you are a carer because too many people don't realise they are carers - that's why the difference in numbers.

How many people do you know on your street who are looking after a sick, disabled or elderly relative? I bet it's more than would admit to being a carer...
Or you could be like me. I am not entitled to CA and yes I have checked that I would not get it so I have never bothered claiming it. What is the point of jumping through hoops for nothing.
But my oh receives high rate dla and needs care.
360 thousand entitled to CA but not receiving it due to the overlapping rule.
These figures include people in your situation

As far as i am concerned anyone who would qualify for CA if it was not for the overlapping rule deserves it

The census question asked if you were looking after someone - unpaid.
I answered that with
Also one person that regards themselves a carer, while someone else in exactly the same position would not and except it as normal part of family life.
I will put it another way

I cared for my wife for over ten years while working, then i had to give my job up to look after her full time due to her condition getting worse. During that period i know i was a carer but excepted it as part as normal family duty and did not expect to receive money for doing it from the government.

I only expected financial help when i was no longer in a position to work.

The census MAY be correct but not all Carers need financial help from the government

this is my opinion

People who would qualify for CA if not for the overlapping rule deserve help financially and practical.

This group does not consist of 6 million but 824,000, 360,000 more then what are receiving it now

If the government removed the overlapping rule tomorrow, which a large number of people are campaigning for then only 824,000 carers would benefit.

So i will go back to my first point of only 824,000 carers who need financial support from the government not 6 million
I RECEIVED A LETTER SOME MONTHS AGO AND IT STATED THERE WAS 840-000 PEOPLE IN RECEIPT OF CARERS ALLOWANCE.
BUT IT WENT ON TO SAY THAT THERE WAS SOME 5 MILLION CARERS WORKING WITHOUT CARERS ALLOWANCE