[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
2008/9 Carer's Allowance and Carer's Premium Rates - Page 2 - Carers UK Forum

2008/9 Carer's Allowance and Carer's Premium Rates

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
Hi all, could someone explain why CUK is always under attack by the users, I only use the Forum so don't know the politics of the site, but they seem a decent bunch. Is the site run by the government or funded by them? If it is run by the Government I won't be back, as I refuse to acknowledge this Government as long as Mr Hain is an MP. I am not being raciest but how can someone brought up in South Africa understand British carers needs? As Secretary of State for Work and Pensions and Wales how can he do his job as an MP for the people of Neath? and why would they want him as an MP as he discriminates against disabled people and he seems to have some sort of personal vendetta against the disabled community and their carers. Does he have any disabled staff in his personal office? or is it enough to say DWP has some disabled people working for him?
Cuk receives government funding. And as the voice of carers, if we don't tell them how we feel about things, how can they represent us?
Pippin, CUK receives some government funding but not as much as people might think. The figures are available on the website.

The government funds (if I remember correctly) the CarersLine, which has helped many carers to receive services and benefits they would not otherwise have been able to.

Myrtle is right: carers need to tell CUK what they want. How else can CUK be the voice? But they have many carers to listen to - not only the relatively few that contact them through this website but also by other means - again, listed on this website.

As for Peter Hain, I'm too polite to say what I'd like to...but it would be interesting to find out what the relatively few disabled workers under him think of his policies. And I think we'd find ourselves surprised and dismayed by the result...
Hi Myrtle, well as it's funded will be staying. Thanks for that Image
Hi Pippin

Carers UK is an independent charity run by carers (trustees) and made up of carers who members. They vote for the Trustees. Like any group of people we have many differences of opinion on the direction to take. We have along history of debate, disagreement and concensus!

We also have a long history of achieving real and lasting change for carers, so stick with us.

Like most charities we get some government grants for specific things like running the helpline or printing advice booklets. We are certainly NOT government run in anyway.

This webpage is a pretty good summaryof what we are about

Thanks
Matt