Parkinsons

For issues related to specific conditions and disabilities.
Mum has now been diagnosed with Parkinsons disease.
Her symptoms, slight tremor, freezing of left leg/foot, shuffling when walking, slurring of speech at times, handwriting effected.

She has been put on medication, and is also having a CT scan in December to see if she has had a stroke or TIA.
She appears to of become incontinent too.

AT the moment she is in intermediate care in a reablement centre, what the final outcome will be after all assessments are done I really do not know.

Has anyone got any information etc.,
Hello Karen,
Sorry it's taken so long for someone to reply to you.
I don't have any information as such (sorry), but my auntie had Parkinsons for over 10 years and she decided to keep busy on her good days and crammed as much into those days as she could, even to the extent of riding her bike down town for a bit of shopping instead of taking the car or the bus.
All I can say is that on the better days, encourage your mum to do as much as she can, crosswords or drawing is good no matter what or how. Or colouring in simple pics (not those complicated pattern books, they might be too confusing and hard). It all helps with co-ordination and memory. Or making a scrapbook?
Difficult if she's in the reablement centre, but do the staff have activities for her?
Hope she's all right and that YOU'RE ok, too. Keep talking to us, we understand about things, if not having experience of specific things, it doesn't matter, just yap about whatever you want. You are welcome.
Take care.
Hi Karen, welcome to the forum. Can I suggest that you know what should happen before someone is discharged from hospital? As Christmas is coming up there may be pressure to get her discharged before the holiday - from my own bitter experience I'd suggest you opposed this at all costs as it's virtually impossible to get good cover during the Christmas/New Year holiday.
Hi Karen,

I'm sorry you had to wait so long for replies. It appears folk read your post but few have personal experience of caring for someone with Parkinson's.

How is your Mum doing now?

Have you looked at the Parkinson's website, here is a link just in case you haven't http://www.parkinsons.org.uk

Melly1
Hi Karen.

I have an 80 year old husband who was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease 2 years ago. He had very similar symptoms to your Mum. Can I suggest that you contact Parkinson's UK who have tons of information, groups you can join and many other things of interest. We joined a group in Billericay, Essex and it was very good. There are singing groups and exercise classes also, for a nominal charge. The subscription to join Parkinson's UK is only £4 and it really is worth it. Hubby and I stopped going to monthly meetings as it was clashing with our church's Disabled Christian Fellowship group, also the events weren't near enough for us, but neverthe less the time we did go we enjoyed it and gained a lot of information and made a few friends too. Hope this helps, Chris.
Hello Karen, My Mother also has Parkinson's and suffers the same symptoms as your relative. She has ups and downs, one day she is quite good, able to walk without her trolley and do things then the next she will will be unable to move very well, be very shaky, and will need to be washed and dressed etc. At the moment she is having a down and cannot feed herself very well, and needs help eating. As has been advised before, contact your local Parkinson's association as they can be very helpful with advice etc. Parkinson's can be a huge challenge for the suffered and the carer, but there is help out there.
My husband was diagnosed in 2012 and of course is has been failing ever since. I gave up work in 2015 to care full time for him and it is so heartbreaking to watch him now. The drooling the shuffle the slurring just the final stages I suppose. I fear with the choking as this can lead to aspiration pneumonia.
my 0ther Half was diagnosed with idiopathic parkinsons 4yrs ago he has been on simonet in various doses since none of them seem to make him any better obviously because the neurologists have no idea what to treat him with. Are there others in this situation? He also has diabetes self managed no meds . He never feels well with no motivation to do anything more than TV or computer this was a man who was a competitive chess player dog trainer taking part in showing and now I cannot get him hardly out of the house because he has started having "turns" likened to being on a roundabout when a kid.Is this familiar to any one else. I have not explained it very well and obviously there is alot more.