[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Stroke (TIA) and memory loss - Carers UK Forum

Stroke (TIA) and memory loss

For issues related to specific conditions and disabilities.
Hallo - if you have any experience on this topic I'd be most grateful to hear of it. (I've scanned the search facility but can find no mention of stroke and memory loss).

My mum recently had (another) TIA stroke, i.e. mini stroke (not displaying all the classic stroke symptoms). She is recovering in hospital. It's now been a week since the TIA occurred and she
can't remember her date of birth (or where she is) and gets mixed up with names. From what
I can glean, e.g. via google, it's supposed to be a TEMPORARY memory loss. Has anyone any further knowledge/experience whether this is so and, if so, when does the memory return
(she is 92 and has had 2 heart attacks this spring, so I guess this needs to be taken into consideration).
Hi, it really depends on the area of the brain affected by the stroke.
Try the stroke association forum/website, they're a really good bunch and always willing to help.
My hubby has had 1 major stroke, 2 smaller strokes and a couple of TIA's ( this according to his CT scan at the memory clinic,) and his memory is still better than mine!!!!!!

I've given up trying to second guess outcomes etc, there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to either strokes or dementia
Hope everything picks up for your Mum, the brain does have amazing healing powers after a stroke.
Hi Amy.

Temporary memory loss can take a few weeks to come back, but sometimes TIAs are linked with other problems, like vascular dementia: given your mum's age, any recovery is likely to take longer, and it may make it more difficult to tell what is actually going on. There are all sorts of possibilities, and it's best to get advice from the hospital. That's not to disagree with daylily - the advice on the sites she recommends is very good and I would always look it up first - it helps me to decide what questions I'm going to need to ask... Image
Many thanks for taking time out to reply to me. I have since discovered a stroke advice phone line which I phoned today. No hard and fast answers - said it could take 5 - 6 weeks to regain partial memory AND that TIAs are linked with dementia!!! A bit worrying ....
I don't really know what I am doing here. My husband had a cerebral and spinal bend in 1988. He couldn't walk, remember anything - I don't think he even recognised me immediately afterwards. It took two years of intensive physical and mental therapy (mostly from me - no other help available) until I discovered Headway, a charity for brain injured people. They got me through the inital shock. There wasn't any help from doctors - one actually said he should just get on with his life and sell newspapers on the street corner! what I find hardest of all is the fact that he is totally unable to put himself in someone else's shoes. He had no idea how depressing his loss of temper control can be - how selfish his outlook on life appears to those who care for him. He just thinks everyone else has their health so they don't have a problem. At 66 I wonder what I am doing here - where has my life gone? Not very cheerful I'm afraid. I really should go back to Headway but I just get too tired to make the effort. However I really do recommend them - they have outreach workers and tons of understanding, probably the best move anyone could make - good luck.
Hi Lesley
I can totally relate to you re the selfishness of your hubby.
My hubby had a stoke nearly 5 years ago and now he has vascular dementia.
He is totally self absorbed, takes himself off to bed if something goes wrong or upsets him, he shows no compassion, love or affection.
I too wonder how long I can live in an emotionless vacuum, I often feel like giving up
don't know why I don't really, it would make no difference to hubby who looks after him as long as he is looked after. I'm 59 and can see nothing ahead but hubby getting worse and me caring.
Take care and remember there are people who understand exactly how you are feeling.
xx
I've since learnt that what my mum had was a STROKE not a TIA - the difference (I'm told) is that a TIA takes place over 24 hours and is not as marked, i.e. the person may not realise that they've even had a mini-stroke/TIA.