Severe stroke victim wanting to drive again

For issues related to specific conditions and disabilities.
So my uncle had a stroke a few years ago and he surrendered his driving license soon after. He lost the use of one arm and most of the use of one leg. He can walk with a tripod stick and he can use some gym equipment if someone helps him onto it.
So he could get an adapted vehicle to drive. However, mentally, he has got significant memory issues, he doesn't remember conversations from an hour ago, he can't understand money, time and dates very well, he is very impulsive, moving quickly without making sure equipment or carers are ready, and he speeds on his mobility scooter, so much so he crashed it once and tipped it over on a curb another time, both times injuring himself. He also can't focus on more than one thing at a time. He often ignores me mid conversation to look at his phone. Not because it has bleeped, just because he didn't realise we were still talking.

I don't have faith that he will be safe driver now, I fear he will go too fast, not react quick enough, and not focus well enough on the road, other road users and pedestrians.

I hoped he would fail the eyesight test he needed to get his license back but today he got a letter saying he was getting his license back. I fear he will go ahead and order an adaptive vehicle and just start driving, without going to an assessment centre, or without listening to their advice. He ignores my advice not to drive as well as the gp.

Do you think I am being overly cautious? If not, how can I convince him not to try driving again?
I guess you could write to the DVLA and describe to them what you have to us, and see what they say?

I also wonder if he could manage to do any of those computer-driving programs that the teenagers do when they are learning how to pass their test? eg. if he constantly crashes his car in the game, that may indicate he no longer has the mental ability to drive safely in real life??
Hi Caroline
No I don't think you are being over cautious. I had same issues with Dad after a major stroke. He reoovered enough mobility to walk again with a stick and regain most of his speach but common sense and multitasking had totally disappeared. Driving is very multi skilled even though we don't realise it, changing gears, watching traffic lights, avoiding prats on the road etc all at once. Dad's reaction time was way too slow for emergency stops and he had forgotten the hospital had told him not to drive.
I had to frog march him down to the drs surgery and fortunately I had a brilliant GP who ran through several tests with Dad, I think he failed pretty much all of them, some mental and some physical. The Dr was highly supportive and pretty blunt with Dadbacking me up and I got Dad to agree and surrender his licence. He was not a happy bunny and nor was I ! Afterwards though, huge relief that he wasn't about to go out there with a tonne of uncontrollable metal and kill someone.
Hi Caroline
Definitely no over cautious!
My husband was actually a brilliant driver. That's not me having rose tinted glasses, but a fact. Then the demise started. He had mini strokes, then a severe one plus vascular dementia was setting in. I went from being extremely comfortable in the car with him, to someone who was severely anxious, and scared. Other drivers would be honking horns, washing arms etc. He said it was them not him. Could have been tragic circumstances for others as well as us. He could find his way anywhere, but afterwards was lost going somewhere local. Please, even though it's going to be hard, do not let him use a car. You say his memory is declining very sadly. My lovely husband is now in a nursing home, and when I have spoken to other visitors of residents, the driving issue has shown to be a problem.
You are very wise to be cautious, very brave and a caring person.
I think he should have declared all medical conditions on his application. If he was 'economical with the truth' he could get in serious trouble, let alone the poor people he may injure if he drives.

I'd hide the keys and declare them lost
I do care work and there are a surprising number of elderly people who tell me their last car "got stolen" :whistle: :whistle:
Thanks everyone, it's good to see this is not uncommon. Sometimes I think I'm being too harsh and that he still may have mental capacity to make a decision like driving, then he goes something ridiculous like walk behind a reversing vehicle like he did today with absolutely no awareness of what was happening.

I think a phone call to DVLA is in order. I'm shocked that he has managed to get a license again with no assessment from them or his gp! Apparently he just filled in the form, and indeed I suspect he was economical with the truth or simply forgot he had all these neurological issues.

Just praying he doesn't find himself a car before I see him in a month.