[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
qestion re; epilepsy - Page 18 - Carers UK Forum

qestion re; epilepsy

For issues related to specific conditions and disabilities.
439 posts
Hi Paul,
Yes I did,
I found it really interesting actually watching Lisa, - when OH has a partial complex seizure there is far less movement involved - his head generally stays still, eyes stay open, but there is twitching, like muscle spasms and his fingers either stroke or tap or he pats himself, or lifts his t-shirt above his face.
I found it quite amazing how different people are affected.
Having said that, since the onset of OH's seizures, the movements have become more pronounced, e.g, the t-shirt thing, patting and twitching weren't there to begin with, there has definitely been a progression.
How is Lisa at the moment?
Thanks for sharing
x
she's not been very good this last week or so, still having problems with impaired vision due to the mix of two drugs called Tegretol and Perampanel so i may call the epilepsy nurse at our hospital later this week.Hope things haven't been too bad for you.
Did anyone else see this...
By Richard Gray, Science Correspondent

8:40AM GMT 17 Feb 2013
The device, which is similar to a sticking plaster connected to a small battery pack by wires, stimulates nerves beneath the skin that feed deep inside the brain to key areas of associated with mood.
Trials of the device, which causes a mild tingling sensation, have shown it can cause a 50 per cent improvement in the symptoms of people suffering from depression.
It has also been found to reduce the occurrence of epileptic seizures in patients who did not respond to drug treatments.
The researchers who developed the device, known as an external trigeminal nerve stimulation patch, presented their results to a conference on medical innovation at the Royal Society of Medicine in London yesterday.

Dr Christopher DeGiorgio, a professor of neurology at the University of California in Los Angeles who invented the device, said: “The patch is placed on the skin above the eyebrows and stimulates the nerve under the skin. It generates pulses of very low current – it feels like a mild tingling.

Related Articles
“This particular nerve projects to key regions in the brain that modulate both epilepsy and mood. We have found that it increases blood flow in areas of the brain that have decreased blood flow in people with depression.”

Small scale clinical trials of the patch, which is replaced after each use by a fresh adhesive pad, showed that wearing the device for at least eight hours over night could bring improvements in mood for people suffering from depression.

One in ten adults in the UK have been diagnosed with depression at some point in their life, according to official statistics while prescriptions for antidepressant drugs have risen fourfold in the past 20 years.
A second small study published in the journal of Neurology, also showed the patch could also help patients suffering from drug-resistant epilepsy, with 40 per cent of those tested seeing the number of seizures cut in half.
Around 500,000 people in the UK suffer from epilepsy, a third of whom do not respond to drug treatment.
“It stabilises the activity in areas of the brain of people who suffer from epilepsy,” Dr DeGiorgio added.
He has set up a company called NeuroSigma to market the device and it has now approved for use in the European Union. They are hoping it will become available on the NHS later this year.
Dr Leon Ekchian, chief executive at NeuroSigma, added that they were also now developing an implant based on the same idea that could be worn around the clock by epilepsy sufferers.

He said]http://www.carersuk.org/images/icon_smile.gif[/img]
Marie
It does indeed sound interesting, although I cant quite see how it would work. The trigeminal nerve takes impulses relating to sensation (pain, pressure,light touch etc) on the face back to the brain so that it can be recognised. If there is problems with blood circulation this can cause pain, but it seems difficult to see how it would work the other way round ie stimulation of the nerve increases blood supply.
I look forward to seeing more about this.
That sounds very interesting Marie, as my OH suffers with both, could this be a 2 birds with 1 stone situation?
I would assume if it were to be available it would be trialled on the worst Epilepsy sufferers first.
I look forward to hearing more.
So far this week OH hasn't been too bad, just a few episodes, mainly late afternoon when he gets tired, so pleased as I am off out to a spa day today organised by the Mental Health Carers group, DD's are staying home with OH for me, so fingers crossed he will be o.k for them. I'll be back home shortly after 3, and the place isn't too far away, so if anything goes pear-shaped I can be home quickly! (I shouldn't worry, the girls are perfectly capable and lovely neighbour is only a call away)
xx
Hi all,
How is everyone?
Question time again ...(sorry)...
When your partner is having a seizure/absence, do they speak?
Hubs was really rough yesterday afternoon, just kept having absences, doing the usual tapping etc, but also leaning forward and pointing, then hugging himself .
I would say ''o.k love?'' as usual to see if there is a response, then he would do the shock face and reply a simple yes, then go straight back to the tapping etc. It was really weird, this lasted for nearly 2 hours.
He looked awful and was so confused, unsure where he was, what time it was etc
Sorry, it's not really a good explanation of events, but once again, this is something that hasn't happened before and your input would be greatly appreciated.
Roll on March when we're back to Neuro
Hi there, OH can speak but usually as he's coming out of it and usually just repeating the same word over. One time with a vomiting seizure, I said 'Oh dear' and as he came out he kept saying it over and over!
There's a kind of pattern of activity with him during the complex phase before they generalise and it's either jerkily running around, bouncing and jerking, head 'n' neck jerks, clapping, slapping thighs mostly automated rapid movements - removing clothes etc. - We got a whole gambit going on here and just when you think you've saw it all...something new crops up. Image
It's such an individual condition really, isn't it.
Hope you're coping ok!
M x
Ive heard of that happening sturdy, but in hubbys case he doesnt speak, even when in a complex partial seizure. Every case is different though.
Its always worrying when its something new eh?
xx
Hi all,
Once again, Thank you! Image
Cor blimey, it's enough to drive a (sturdy)girl crackers Image Image
Had a chat with Hubs yesterday, asked him how he felt saturday, he couldn't remember too much of the afternoon except a feeling of total confusion, he said nothing seemed right, and he just felt weird.
He was very tired yesterday, lots of sleeping done but no seizures.
It is worrying Crocus, I feel I should be taking it all in my stride by now, then something else crops up, poor Hubs is constantly knackered at the min Image
xx
Did you manage to find a contact number for the epilepsy nurse sturdy? If so, this would be a good reason to phone her
439 posts