multiple sclerosis

For issues related to specific conditions and disabilities.
Many thank's izzy for that info, i was talking to the nurse this morning and they said they will take her in 2 week's today and fit one, said she will be in for about 4 day's. Once again many thank's.
Hi Starfury,
I am in a very similar situation to yourself with my wife having been diagnosed with MS when she was 25 - we are both now just in our 60's. With regard to your query on Supra Pubic Catheters - my wife had one fitted some years ago and it seemed to work very well for a while and was changed every 4 weeks by district nurses. They then decided to extend the time period between changes and this is when problems started. To cut a long story short I insisted that I was trained to change the catheter - it's quite easy really and I now control the time period between changes. You learn as you go along sometimes it's three weeks and sometimes you can get away with 5 weeks or more. The main problem I have found with the supra pubic, and I suppose it depends which type is used, was that they can block very easily as they are a very narrow bore tube. The only answer to that is 2½ to 3 litres of water drunk steadily over the day and 'Oxybutinin Hydrochloride' (ditropan) to prevent the bladder going into spasm. Do not make the mistake we made and give flavoured concentrates or fruit juices - especially the dreaded cranberry - after a period of time the acid in these dissolved all the enamel from her teeth and she had to undergo extensive dental treatment to save her teeth.
If I can help in any other way don't hesitate to ask.
Hello weimarscot, Thank you very much for that information my friend. It will come in very handy. I have been watching the carers uk site for a while but never joined in with anything. But i now i thought i would give it a try and am very glad i have. It's nice to have people like yourself to get information from.

Many thanks.
is there any other more specific MS Carer related boards than here, this is not exactly what I had in mind.
is there any other more specific MS Carer related boards than here, this is not exactly what I had in mind.
Take a look at these Betty,may be of help to you.

http://www.mssociety.org.uk/

http://www.mstrust.org.uk/default.jsp

Rosemary
Take a look at these Betty,may be of help to you.

http://www.mssociety.org.uk/

http://www.mstrust.org.uk/default.jsp

Rosemary
thank you, but I am aware of these.

I was looking for something more Carer spefic for MS,
As far as I am aware Betty, we have various carer forums but with a wide range of illnesses/disabilities covered.Maybe someone else can advise if a forum specific to what you are looking for.
In the meantime please read some of the postings and you may find something of benefit to you.
You will find a great bunch of people here who could benefit from your own experiences too.
What sort of things are covered on Rethink? Its a site that may benefit members here.

Rosemary
As far as I am aware Betty, we have various carer forums but with a wide range of illnesses/disabilities covered.Maybe someone else can advise if a forum specific to what you are looking for.
In the meantime please read some of the postings and you may find something of benefit to you.
You will find a great bunch of people here who could benefit from your own experiences too.
What sort of things are covered on Rethink? Its a site that may benefit members here.

Rosemary
are there any other Carers boards you would recomend then?, bit stale round here. Image
Hi, my mum has cerebral MS and dementia. She is only 52 and I have been her main carer for the past 8 years.

I am sorry for your loss and I hope things become easier for you. I know how horrible this disease is. I have always said it is much worse than other terminal illnesses like cancer because it has not only affected my mum physically, but it has taken her mentally too. To the point where she no longer knows who we are.

Take care of yourself,
Celine
my partner has MS , its a hard bloody disease. and me feeling alone and being so young (26) doesnt help him either