Aphasia and cognitive problems

For issues related to specific conditions and disabilities.
I care for my husband who has fluent aphasia. He also cannot recognise places, faces or often objects. He cannot read or write. As with all brain damage, these problems are very individual. He is cheerful and is a lovely man, and physically looks very good (so people don't realise how difficult it is to look after him).

I try to phone helplines, friends, meditation, medication, counselling, advice on specific charity websites, books. In the end I feel its just up to me to learn to cope, but I often feel I can't. Does anyone else wonder how to carry on???
Hi Victoria,
I care for my husband who has an acquired brain injury and he looks physically very well too. It is difficult when you are caring for some one with a "hidden" disability. many people think that there is nothing wrong with hubby! Image
It sounds to me like your husband has visual agnosia as well as the aphasia. This sort of disability is so individual that usually, its the carers who know more about it than anyone else - very few of the professionals know how to help. Does he recognise people by their voice? Can he work out what things are by touch? If so then I would suggest that you use the sort of aids used for blind people and talking books etc. Does he like music? Try musical concerts or pubs that have musicians/live bands instead of going to see things.

Also - take time out for yourself too, to give yourself a break. Then it will be a bit easier to carry on. Image
Dear Crocus

Your reply was extremely helpful thank you. You are the first person who has actually come up with some relevant helpful suggestions!

I shall certainly try the music in pubs idea, as he does use voices rather than faces to recognise people and he does like listening to any sort of music. Also the help for people with visual problems is an idea, I have been so busy thinking the problem is in his brain (which it is) but that doesn't mean that it is not hindering his sight and recognition of objects. So, thank you so much for really useful ideas and for making me feel someone really does understand!

Kindest regards
Vicki
Hi vicki - you are welcome to send me a message any time if I can be of help
xx
Hi Victoria,

Just read your post from some time ago and wanted to say I so understand how you feel about coping with Aphasia. My husband suffered a major stroke a couple of years ago, very fit, then suddenly our world changed in an instant.

Like your husband, mine looks just fine and has regained quite a lot of his physical abilities, although has limited strength and is very shaky, he cannot write and reads very small amounts, his short/medium term memory is also affected, so I constantly have to explain and repeat myself or write things down, along with his personality which has totally changed. He rarely looks happy, is very self centred, selfish, restless and short tempered. His aphasia and apraxia have resulted in very limited communication, which unless you live with it, is beyond difficult to explain and the effect it has on everything in day to day life is just so difficult. I often feel mentally drained from the stress it causes and physically exhausted from the added chores I now have to do because he can't. Like you mentioned, after the initial help, you are left to cope and it is just so hard at times. Unless you live with someone with Aphasia you just cannot understand how draining and exhausting it can be! I guess we all take a simple conversation for granted until you can't have one.

I'm not sure if you will read this as its a long time since you posted, but if you do, it would be good to communicate with each other for some much needed moral support. Xx