[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Migraines - Carers UK Forum

Migraines

For issues related to specific conditions and disabilities.
Anyone else have experience of caring for someone with severe migraine attacks?

My partner is currently in the middle of a very bad attack. Is there anyone else who knows what this is like and appreciates that it isn't just a bad headache?

Also is there anyone who has or cares for someone who has migraines alongside another chronic condition and who has experience of how one impacts on the other?

He has M.E., bipolar disorder, and several other things as well as the propensity to migraine attacks.
Having experienced a handful of migraines after periods of being very stressed - I can vouch that migraines are different from headaches. The only thing that works for me is lying very still in a dark room and sleeping it off. If I move or take tablets, I vomit.

So I would imagine caring for someone with a migraine is to keep their room dark and cool, tiptoe around the house being as quiet as possible?

Does your OH have meds for his migraines? Do they work?

Melly1
He takes propranolol as a preventative drug but it doesn't always work, unfortunately. Someone has recommended feverfew but we need to check with his psych to see if it would be allowed....
I've had migraines most of my life, but have reduced the frequency a lot since being able to avoid one of my triggers. My husband has moderate-severe ME as well as migraines with no obvious trigger.

In both cases, what really helps is learning to notice the signs that an attack is in the very early stage - going dyslexic, yawning a lot, things seeming louder and brighter than usual...

At this stage, you need to take an anti emetic (ask your doctor to prescribe one compatible with the other medication) and then painkillers (pref soluble or effervescent for quick absorbtion).

Then drowse or sleep it off somewhere quiet - a blindfold helps, as do ear plugs if tolerated.

You can expect the person to be not quite back to normal for several hours after the pain and nausea have passed.
I'm a long term migraine sufferer, over 30 years now, very severe at times lasting 3 to 4 days, I've tried feverfew but for me it didn't work.........none of the prescription medications work and I've tried many over the years, on occasion something like bucasten(sp) can help with the nausea/sickness, it can be prescribed by the GP or can be bought over the counter, though a bit expensive to buy and as ever you do need to check with the GP/pharmasist to see if your partner would be able to take it.