[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Hubby in Hospital -Carers UK Forum

Hubby in Hospital

For issues related to specific conditions and disabilities.
On Sunday evening hubby was admitted to hospital with breathing problems....he has (COPD/EMPHYSEMA) Doctor diagnosed pneumonia....now they say he has (STAPHYLOCOCCU)which was found in his blood!!! Has anyone else come across this infection ...i get the impression it is quite serious!! He has been quite poorly, but i am hoping the intravenous antibiotics he his having will do the trick!!

Eve... x
Hi Evedan. Staphylococcus is one of those names that sounds scary - but isn't always. There are lots of "strains" of it - some are not too bad and easily treatable, but others are more of a problem, like MRSA.

No infection is good where COPD is concerned because it's harder to fight off infections when you have problems breathing already - it puts a further strain on the body.

But your hubby is in the right place and they'll be watching what happens with the antibiotics, etc. Hope he's feeling better soon.
Thanks Charles47 for your reply....yes you are right about infections Hubby just keeps getting one after another!! But these antibiotics he is having at the moment are different to what he has had previously and much stronger so fingers crossed!!!1

Eve....
Hi Eve...People with COPD do seem to get infections one after another as I'm sure you know. It then takes a time often for the antibiotics to kick in. The IV antibiotics will certainly get into the system quicker. My Mum also had COPD amongst other things and try as the family did she seemed to pick up an infection if she saw someone sneeze out of the window!

I don't know if anyone has suggested it and obviously everyone is different but as Mums COPD progressed the doctor at the hospital put her on a low dose antibiotic long term. It was a decision that certainly took some thought as prolonged use can also bring other problems such as my Mum experienced, C.Diff. However, the antibiotics did I believe reduce the number of infections that she had.

I hope your hubby shows signs of a good recovery soon.

Bell x
I hope the antibiotics kick in fast and your hubby starts to feel better soon.

Melly1
Thank you for your kind messages....well hubby home now and doing quite well..but as some of you will know with this disease (COPD) the cold weather at the moment is not good for the breathing,he has a follow up at the hospital in 3mths time so we are keeping our fingers crossed no more infections between now and then!! Image

Eve x Image
On Sunday evening hubby was admitted to hospital with breathing problems....he has (COPD/EMPHYSEMA) Doctor diagnosed pneumonia....now they say he has (STAPHYLOCOCCU)which was found in his blood!!! Has anyone else come across this infection ...i get the impression it is quite serious!! He has been quite poorly, but i am hoping the intravenous antibiotics he his having will do the trick!!

Eve... x
Hi I hope your hubby makes a speedy recovery and he continues to make good and steady progress. My elderly dad has COPD and has had 2 chest infections and I Pneumonia, twice in hospital.

With my best wishes RRB
Hi Eve...winter certainly is a difficult time for anyone with COPD and for their families too....I remember oh so we'll how I would be terrified whenever I had a sniffle incase I passed it on to Mum. Fingers crossed for no more infections and a speedy recovery.

Bell x
Glad hubbies feeling better. Hope you keep infection free now.