[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Getting pneumonia..... - Carers UK Forum

Getting pneumonia.....

For issues related to specific conditions and disabilities.
I guess I'm clutching at straws really. I would like to know if anyone cares for or knows of an elderly person who contracted pneumonia, was treated in hospital and recovered?

My mum, who is 92, recently had a fall. Whilst the bruising subsided, the pain did not. On being admitted to hospital (yesterday) it was found that she had pneumonia! (Still can't fathom how...isn't it a virus? She is mostly in bed and only really sees myself, with the occasional nurse visiting). What I have read on pneumonia doesn't seem to match her condition, e.g. she is not having breathing problems or had a fever. However, I saw a diagram of her lungs on her medical chart and one side was shaded in....

Any optimistic experiences with this condition in the elderly?
My mum has been in hospital since August. She currently has a "chest infection" and when oral antibiotics didn't seem to be working, she was given them intravenously, which seem to have stopped her getting worse, as far as I can tell. Again, when she had a urinary infection and oral antibiotics from the GP, which didn't seem to be working, she was admitted to hospital and immediately given some sort of what our family calls a "depth charge" intravenously. It seems that the elderly are more susceptible to infections and that hospitals have a better range of treatments than doctors in the community. So it's difficult to pinpoint where an infection came from, but the hospital should be ensuring that she has the right medication to make her better. If you have any worries, find the Ward Manager and ask exactly what the problem is and what they are doing to treat it. Make sure she has a full assessment before she is discharged.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but my impression was that these kind of bugs are just floating around all over the place hoping to catch the old and the sick, a bit like mould spores really.
My son is only 28 but had heart palpitations last year that wouldn't stop and when he was admitted to hospital it was found to be pneumonia. He had a slight chest infection and had finished a course of antibiotics and seemed to be getting better so the pneumonia was a bit of a shock. However the intravenous antibiotics seemed to do the trick and cured it. He has just recently finished antibiotics again (yesterday in fact) so we have to watch him like a hawk whenever he gets a chest infection. With DMD (as my son has) it is usually a chest infection or heart failure which takes them.

Eun
Correct me if I'm wrong, but my impression was that these kind of bugs are just floating around all over the place hoping to catch the old and the sick, a bit like mould spores really.
Yes but my point is that, since my mother is housebound, i.e. not interacting with the outside world and rarely has visitors then where did it spring from? I aerate her bedroom frequently...
Viruses come in on people, clothes, hands and on things brought in from outside. Unless you sterilize everything that comes into her room (including your own clothes) and scrub your skin all over with alcohol gel you cant be sure that you have got rid of everything. Even then it can just float in through the open window.....

The other way you can get pneumonia is aspiration pneumonia when you have trouble swallowing and the food goes down the wrong way and gets into the lungs.

My mum has had pneumonia and recovered, although, of course, some people do not.
Hope your mum recovers soon.
xx
Having just spoken to the hospital doctor, I now have a better understanding of how she got pneumonia and of how it is contracted. When she fell over (xmas eve) it bruised/impacted on her lungs. This made them susceptible to infection. Pneumonia is bacteria related i.e. not a virus.

It was upsetting to see her today - she was disorientated and didn't know who these strange people were in her home! It was explained to me that this is a side effect of the IV antibiotic.

God, what a ridiculous and upsetting protocol it is to just look at her medical record file (at the foot of the bed). I just picked it up and it was taken from me. I was then told there was "a procedure". I became very alarmed/crying at this block to (what felt like my right to) access my mother's health notes. It felt like she was their property - a body - but she is human, a person and my mother! Eventually it was sorted but, next time, I will make sure a nurse is not around if I want to glance at her records! I'll be damned if someone is gonna intervene - it feels unnecessarily obstructive and a stupid rule that I can't respect enough to obey. (Rant over!)
Twice the only way we could find out which hospital mum had been taken to was to ring 999, because of idiotic rules. I've even been told, when enquiring about how mum was, immediately after admission, that my phone call was "compromising patient care"!!! Of course I immediately complained, but the government seems to think that elderly people's families are not doing enough. So why is it, that when an elderly person is admitted to hospital, that they do not immediately contact next of kin? The answer is that they "don't have enough time". Fortunately, while she was well, I arranged for mum to sign a "health and welfare" power of attorney, I already have one for financial matters. Now the hospital cannot refuse to share anything with me. If anyone reading this hasn't arranged a POA for their carees, please give the matter careful consideration. You never know when something will happen. I've already done mine, giving my son POA, should I ever need him to act for me.
Thanks for that bowlingbun. Useful info. Image Image

Yes, in fact, I do have POA - i.e. it is my name under the health and welfare section. I shall be bringing that info on my next visit. Can't be doing with all this cloak and dagger nonsense! Image
Amy, that's good news. Copy yours, and make sure it's left in mum's file and recorded on the computer system too. If they say they didn't know you had it, that's because they should have asked you when mum was first admitted - so they are at fault. (Don't get mad, get even)