My dad is sectioned

For issues specific to caring for someone with mental ill health.
Hi newbie here, my 80 year old dad had a mental break down he was sectioned under the mental health act in London his been in there for about 4 weeks and has been diagnosed with depression and anxiety. He is no longer sectioned but is still in hospital we have a care plan meeting Wednesday 14th june. I don't really know what to expect from this meeting, I know they are prob going to arrange when he can go home but his really worried about going home and do am I, he lives in a 3 bed council house which is way too big for him and i don't live that close to him and I work full time, there only me that can care for him and what I would really like to do is get him in to wardened accommodation close to me would this be possible to do this as i am in a different borough to him. just don't know where to start to be honest this is a mind field for me. Just need advice please on what to do once his out of hospital. Thanks x
You really need to email our CUK helpline for full details, I know there are some special arrangements as far as care costs are concerned for some people who have been sectioned. You need to know what these arrangements are.
There isn't "only you" to care for him. If he needs care, then this MUST be arranged for him before he goes anywhere. Usually, there is some sort of reablement team who can give free care up to 6 weeks.

Everything needs to be properly arranged BEFORE HE IS DISCHARGED ANYWHERE. Do not let them discharge him with promises of things to come, because they may never ever happen.

Go to the meeting, listen to what they are saying, and be sure to say if you don't think he's going to be safe at home. An OT should visit his home, with him, before discharge, to see how he manages.
I don't know whther this would be any use to you, but when you say supported living, it reminded me that when my MIL had to leave her home, because (with hindsight) dementia was starting off, I moved her into an Abbeyfield home.

The set up was a large house, adapted into what really were 'bedsits for the elderly'. My MIL had a large room with an ensuite, and a bed and sofa etc etc (ie, bedsit), plus a mini fridge and a kettle (no toaster alas as they kept setting the smoke alarms off apparently!).

The deal was that for breakfast, the residents would use the communal kitchens (there was one up, one down), (there were toasters in the kitchens!) (which also had communal laundry facilities as well) (but see below). Then, for lunch they all ate together in the dining room (There were about 15-20 residents, mostly women, with a few men), and they also ate together for dinner as well. The meals were all provided by the house-manager's wife.

There was a communal lounge as well, if the residents wanted to gather after meals, for playing scrabble, etc etc. There were lovely gardens too.

Overall, I thought it a very good 'half-way house' between living on your own entirely, and living in a 'care home'.

My MIL couldn't actually manage to make her breakfasts, so, like several others, she had a morning carer come in to help her shower and get dressed, and then to help her make breakfast. The house manager was very good and came and 'rounded up' the residents for lunch if they hadn't showed up at the time.

As for laundry, I did this for my MIL, when I visited, scooping up the laundry bag and then returning clean laundry the next visit.

My MIL was self-funding, and the cost was around £1500 a month, which sounds a lot (but this is in an area of the Home Counties where a flat can easily cost a thousand pounds a month to rent!), but it included all the electricity etc, and all the meals and the various social entertainments (eg, some visits out, and sometimes entertainers came in, like sing-songs). It was a good deal cheaper than a care home!

Anyway, just a thought, in case that might prove an option for your dad.
PS - the bedsits weren't furnished. Prices depended on the size and 'quality' of the room - eg, my MIL was in one downstairs with French windows to a little patio opening to the lovely gardens, more expensive than one of the upstairs smaller rooms.
Hi Claire
There are different types of section, and which one Dad has been on affects whether help after will be free or not (called section 117 aftercare)
MIND has a load of information 're sections and what happens. The pages are written as though reader is the patient, but you will get the gist.
https://www.mind.org.uk/information-sup ... T8HsGjTW2d

The MIND site is well worth exploring, there are areas for friends and family
Thanks for all your help x
Hi just an update I know been awhile! My dad left the mental health unit 2 days ago he under went ECT treatment which kind of worked his not as anxious as he was but tbh iv come to the conclusion that this is the way his gonna be from now on no matter how much treatment he has although he does still take antidepressants. They was going to let him out in November with no care package just a surport worker going round anyway I kicked up an absolute stink about this as ok yer I'm about but I work full time there's no other family to help out what's he surpose to do on his own told them that if anything happens to him I will hold them personally responsible and will be putting in a formal complant well it seemed to work lol he now as a carer comes in 3 times a day makes his meals cleans up and also just found out that you can also phone the care place to arrange transport to and from for any appointments which you never get told about not that i will be doing this as do like to go with my dad to these things. The only thing is there's a care assessment on Monday not really sure what to expect from this hope I'm not in for another shouting match as it's really not me and tbh surprised myself when I did it last time. Will update you on what happens.

Ps thought this might be good advice for other ppl that are finding it hard to get the care their loved one deserves. Im aftaid it really is who shouts the loudest
Claire, it's really good that your determination has paid off, and your dad now has a better care package.

I've not had to go through one of the assessemtns your facing, but loads of other forum members have, so I'm sure they can give a set of 'advice rules' to help you get the best out of it - hopefully without you having to resort to a show of temper (however well justified!)

Never forget that you are legally FREE to 'walk away' from your dad, and never lift another finger for him, or do a single thing for him. The NHS/SS know that PERFECTLY WELL and it is, after all, your 'ultimate weapon' against them.....you may not have to use it, but you can certainly threaten it!

Wishing you all the best in a tense, and wearing, and stressful situation, Jenny