[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Talking to herself - Carers UK Forum

Talking to herself

For issues specific to caring for someone with mental ill health.
My daughter had a mental breakdown about 13 years ago and has been stable on medication ever since. However, she has been talking to herself for the past few months, usually when alone in a room. When approached about it, she denies it. Does any carer have the same problem and can medication help?
It can be a sign of many things. Maybe she just talks to someone who was close to her, but has passed away? If I'm honest, I talk to myself too - not only when I'm on my own either! Image
Having said that, it can be a sign of a mental health problem....maybe you could have a word with her doctor?
I hope you can find out what's going on soon xx
Welcome to the forum LindyLou Image

I am not sure there is a specic medicaion will help for self conversation. My ill husband still does it some times but it is different to when he had a breakdown. If your daughter denis it probably she does not realise she is talking to herself.

If there were some traumatic events happened recently (can be few years back) and/or your daughter is under extreme stress, it is a condition called Disasociation which will ease off.

Best to keep close eye on her and try to hear what she says, then have a chat with GP and/or psychiatrist.

Take care.
hi dear welcome to the site
Talking to yourself most on here will tell you we all do this from time to time but when one starts to or and have a conversation with someone who is not there then that's when one needs help not so much as regards meds as some meds can cause this .
Maybe she does not know she is doing this and keep telling her will make her worse so don't confront her rather as fluffy cat said Best to keep close eye on her and try to hear what she says, then have a quiet chat with GP and/or psychiatrist. coffeex
If there were some traumatic events happened recently (can be few years back) and/or your daughter is under extreme stress, it is a condition called Disasociation which will ease off.

Not that I know much about it, but isn't Disassociation what a layperson would call a "split personality", whereby the conscious splits off from the core host personality and "becomes someone else" to protect that core? This is a subconscious reaction originally to immense trauma. The more traumas, the more splits. If so, it doesn't ease off, without extensive therapy and - as the splits will occur immediately when faced with what is viewed as traumatic therapy - very very difficult to treat.

Please correct me!!!