[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Stressed out carer for my mum who has various issues - Page 2 - Carers UK Forum

Stressed out carer for my mum who has various issues

For issues specific to caring for someone with mental ill health.
Have you asked Social Services for an URGENT Carers Assessment?

Have you spoken to YOUR doctor about the toll this is taking on you?
I really don't think you can or even should be putting up with this, you are a young man who should be enjoying life, working, out with friends, but at the moment you can't move an inch without mum. Is she now claiming Personal Independence Payment? Are you getting Carers Allowance?
Do you have Power of Attorney?
The mental health services in my area have increased community support, to keep people safe and well and out of hospital.
They should have a community mental health team to help and advise as well as the crisis team.

And it is only the most very ill that get a hospital bed.
One of my carees took an overdose, went A&E, and was just discharged with a load of leaflets, you are supposed to self care, as they call it, find your own solutions, counselling and support.

Not at all helpful.

You said in your first post, your mum was having therapy and was to be seeing a pyschiatrist, your mum still needs this. mental illness just does not go away, your mum needs a proper assessment and the right help treatment and support and you too as an unpaid carer.

I would suggest contact Pals, every hospital/mental health trust has to have a PALS, patient liason.

Contact the GP again ask for an Urgent Referral to Community Mental Health service, say you as a carer are strugglying with the 24 hour care that you are doing.

I found Rethink very helpful, for advice, help and information, is there one in your area, you can email or telephone for advice.