Son with schizophrenia deteriorating

For issues specific to caring for someone with mental ill health.
Lilac - so distressing for you. I'm no use on schizophrenia, so hope the others here who are, will be here shortly.

I just wanted to say that from what I've read on this forum from other parents dealing with situations similar to yours is that they can report that being sectioned is actually the best thing that happened, as it 'took control' and enabled the docs to insist on the right level of meds etc, and, of course, gave parents a real 'break'. From sectioning, then a better forward care plan could be devised.

It is SOOOOOO frustrating when a mentally ill patient stops their meds, or thinks they don't need them, etc - lacking the mental ability to understand that the reason they think they don't need their meds is the very proof they do need them!!!!

Hoping things calm down a bit, and get more 'under control', even if that does involve sectioning for now.

Kindest wishes, at the hardest time for you to be a mother - Jenny
So sorry to hear things are getting worse. I promise it won't go on for ever, although right now that's probably no help to you.

Do you think his house mates would involve the police? "Ranting and raving and breaking things" would make a good case for putting others at risk of harm I would have thought. Do you have any contact with said house mates?

When my son was really bad and smashing his belongings I felt, like you, that there was only me in the world who could do anything, but someone in his block just happened to be a psychiatric nurse, another a policeman. Help came out of the woodwork when it was really crucial.

Wishing you as well as possible in the circumstances.
Lilac
It sounds like you did really well spotting the signs building up. It's not your fault 'the system'didn't respond earlier. Its too soon to be thinking alternative housing, that takes considerable time. Concentrate instead on the present and what is happening now, rather then all the ' what ifs' for the future

Xx MrsA
I posted a reply on here on Thursday but it disappeared!
Thanks for all your suggestions and good wishes. We went to the psychiatrist who advised my son to take an increased dose of Quetiapine for a week to ten days, my son was doubtful he would do this. Psychiatrist spent some time agreeing that it sounded as though he did indeed live in a “dodgy” area but said he could see that he was not as well as earlier in the year. I said my concerns and my son was annoyed about that of course.
I left my son yesterday after helping him get rid of rubbish from his room. He was very tense and annoyed about other people in the house and avoided seeing them. He said he was going to the council to see about getting a flat. I am hoping against hope that he will take the higher dose, I have been encouraging him to but of course he doesn’t think that will help as the problem is not with him! As anyone with experience of schizophrenia symptoms will know only too well.
All I can do is monitor the situation from here and phone the police if it gets worse. He is slightly different every day- more - or less - paranoid/angry. So difficult to judge. Drove 190 miles yesterday going to see him on the way home ... feeling exhausted now and hoping to get a few nights at home before going down again. Due to go down on 23rd or 24th to have Christmas with my daughter and son in her house. Dreading that, hope he’ll be ok with everyone. Been taking a terrible ear bashing from him on the phone on several occasions. So difficult when he’s going on about everything that is **** in his life. I hold the phone away from my ear or put it down on the sofa - can still hear him ranting on. Every suggestion is rejected, i try not to make any ... so difficult when he says he doesn’t really want to be here etc
X
I made several changes to my last post in draft format but they have not appeared - the main one being that my son flat out refused to take the higher dose of Quetiapine although that’s what the psychiatrist advised.
<t>I posted a reply on here on Thursday but it disappeared! <br/>
Thanks for all your suggestions and good wishes. We went to the psychiatrist who advised my son to take an increased dose of Quetiapine for a week to ten days, my son was doubtful he would do this. Psychiatrist spent some time agreeing that it sounded as though he did indeed live in a “dodgy” area but said he could see that he was not as well as earlier in the year. I said my concerns and my son was annoyed about that of course.<br/>
<br/>
I left my son yesterday after helping him get rid of rubbish from his room. He was very tense and annoyed about other people in the house and avoided seeing them. He said he was going to the council to see about getting a flat. I am hoping against hope that he will take the higher dose, I have been encouraging him to but of course he doesn’t think that will help as the problem is not with him! As anyone with experience of schizophrenia symptoms will know only too well.<br/>
<br/>
All I can do is monitor the situation from here and phone the police if it gets worse. He is slightly different every day- more - or less - paranoid/angry. So difficult to judge. Drove 190 miles yesterday going to see him on the way home ... feeling exhausted now and hoping to get a few nights at home before going down again. Due to go down on 23rd or 24th to have Christmas with my daughter and son in her house. Dreading that, hope he’ll be ok with everyone. Been taking a terrible ear bashing from him on the phone on several occasions. So difficult when he’s going on about everything that is **** in his life. I hold the phone away from my ear or put it down on the sofa - can still hear him ranting on. Every suggestion is rejected, i try not to make any ... so difficult when he says he doesn’t really want to be here etc <br/>
X</t>
Well, at least he's on the psychiatrist's radar.

I do hope you can enjoy your Christmas. Sometimes my son can rise to the occasion and be sociable even when he's been absolutely unspeakable with just me. :angry: Fingers crossed. :lol:

All the best.
Is it possible for you to record the phone conversations? They might give the psychiatrist useful insight into the real issues.
Thanks StarFish, hope your son is on good form and your Christmas is enjoyable.

BB - I could do that but it would be an enormous betrayal to my son to play it. I did mention in the consultation that there was a lot of anger - and depression (often related to anger) this year, he’s pretty good at picking up the hints. I am going to limit the phone calls in future to fifteen minutes or so, otherwise it’s unbearable.

X
I appreciate your dilemma, I'm currently thinking of getting a covert camera in my son's flat, for different reasons, but the same dilemma. Fifteen minutes is still a very long time to have someone ranting at you, I'd put the phone down sooner, as I hate confrontation of any kind. For both of us, we are concerned for our sons, and struggling to get them the right help they need and deserve.