[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Open Dialogue: An approach to acute psychiatric crises. - Carers UK Forum

Open Dialogue: An approach to acute psychiatric crises.

For issues specific to caring for someone with mental ill health.
Attending a conference today in London about an alternative approach to psychosis through a dialogical approach with families and the person's network.
Lots of family members and carers are here and are excited to learn about 'Open Dialogue' in the UK.
Will post further references about this approach for carers and their loved ones.
Anna
Looking forward to seeing anything you might share
Open Dialogue is an approach to acute psychiatric crises developed by Jaakko Seikkula, Markku Sutela, and their multidisciplinary team at Keropudas Hospital in Tornio, Finland. This is the psychiatric model used in Tornio and the results are amazing!!!

After 5 years (1992 – 1997) of Open Dialogue treatment in Tornio, Lapland, 81 % of people had no remaining psychotic symptoms and 81% had returned to full employment. Only 35 % had used antipsychotics (Seikkula et al., 2006). In the UK, only 20% of people with ‘schizophrenia’ would be expected to be symptom free after 5 years, with close to 100% of all patients with psychosis receiving antipsychotics.

Dr. Russell Razzaque led the Peer-supported Open Dialogue (POD) national conference in London today, which I attended. He is a London-based psychiatrist with sixteen years’ experience in adult mental health. He is the author of 'Breaking Down is Waking Up'. You can watch and listen to Russell discuss Open Dialogue on Youtube at:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQgAorQpxGc

Val Jackson is a wonderful family therapist from Leeds who has a website dedicated to Open Dialogue:

www.developingopendialogue.com

Enjoy
Anna x
Hi Stephanie
I have put up a new post about Open Dialogue with links so you can read as much or as little as you like about it. I found it a gradual process to take on board the whole process.
Hope you find it helpful and if you have any questions, feel free to ask.
Anna x
Thanks Anna

Glad you had such a useful day. I found this on YouTube too. It is a documentary made by an American psychotherapist about the Lapland project

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDVhZHJagfQ
Great Youtube you shared!!
Please share anything else you come across.
Anna x
Hi

Last year my son and I went to see The Eradication of Schizophrenia in Western Lapland, a play by the Ridiculusmus theatre group based on Open Dialogue.

http://www.ridiculusmus.com/shows/on-to ... n-lapland/

It was a very strange evening; by splitting the stage the audience was presented with two overlapping scenes. My son said afterwards that it was quite a good representation of his experiences.

The cast discussed the play at the end but it seemed that the approach is most effective with first-time incidence of psychosis, so sadly rather late for us.