[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Not sure what to do - Bipolar - Carers UK Forum

Not sure what to do - Bipolar

For issues specific to caring for someone with mental ill health.
Hi,

I posted on the Money Saving Expert Forum and they advised me to post here Image Below is my OP from that site

Basically my mum is Bipolar and has been seriously taken advantage of by a group of people, to the tune of around £40k (£35k in money, an Audi TT and several mobile contacts)

What can be done to try and get the money/property back?

I'm guessing that they have obtained it by deception because they have taken advantage of someone that is vulnerable.

We tried to tell her that they were using her but as she was on a high, she wouldn't listen to us. Every time we tried to intervene she got violent and called the police.

Here is a link to the whole thread http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/sho ... ?t=3565211

Thanks in advance Image
Hi D3lly
Sorry can't offer much in the way of advice apart from having read the link you posted agree that you should involve the police. Found these links for you......could be that you can get some further info and or support from one of organisations? Maybe one of them would know of a soliciter that specilises in dealing with mental health issues and protecting the person with the illness and family involved.

http://www.bipolaraware.co.uk/

http://www.mind.org.uk/help/diagnoses_a ... depression

http://www.rethink.org/about_mental_ill ... _disorder/

Best wishes
Cheryl
Thanks, Will have a look at those sites when I get the chance Image

Got so many things going on at the minute, that it's hard to keep up with it all! Image
Again, I can't offer much advice as I don't have much experience in this, but it might be worth trying to get her to see the GP and get her health noted down on record - I know it may be easier said than done though.

I say this because last year a car hit us and we claimed for compensation. One thing that came up a lot in the claim was what the GP had to say about it and it helped us a lot that we had it on record that we had injuries. I know it's a different situation but if you're going to say that they took advantage of her due to her mental health issues it might benefit you to get those issues noted on her medical records as much as possible and how it effects her. I know it may be hard and you've got a lot on your plate, but it's probably something to think about as it could count in your favour as proof that she wasn't necessarily in her right mind at the time (and I don't mean that in a bad way).
Basically your mum has been "financially abused" and that, in a case like this, needs to be reported to the police. You will need to make sure the police are aware that your mum is a "vulnerable adult" who has been "financially abused" and that should make them take notice.
To add what has already said I also think you should get an independant solicitor invovled. The police do not really do much with these sort of claims unless its a company being swindled.
The police have a duty under "No Secrets" - any form of abuse, if reported, is their concern where a vulnerable adult is concerned. They then have to determine whether a crime has been committed and to involve other agencies (principally social services) as appropriate. They don't have a choice.
The police have a duty under "No Secrets" - any form of abuse, if reported, is their concern where a vulnerable adult is concerned. They then have to determine whether a crime has been committed and to involve other agencies (principally social services) as appropriate. They don't have a choice.
charles yes...they have a duty...having had first hand experience with them and their duty I can honestly say they quite often don't bother with that duty!
True, but the Fiona Pilkington case has certainly changed things locally. And if you use the words I've suggested, they at least know that you know...and that makes it harder for them to ignore.
Hello
my advice is get mind involved and you could also try community legal advice.
good luck

georgie