Medical Marijuana?

For issues specific to caring for someone with mental ill health.
Hi All, I just want to ask if anyone ever tried using medical cannabis as an alternative meds? I have read many articles about medical marijuana and how it can help you in terms of chronic pain, glaucoma, eating disorder/anorexia, anxiety disorders and panic attacks, inflammation, even cancer and a lot more. Like this article about alzheimers disease and marijuana. Cbd and thc are also new to me and I don't even smoke. If this is true I cant find any solid conclusive evidence that speaks to its efficacy. Any personal experience or testimonial would be highly appreciated. Thanks
Hi Daniel ... I have no first hand experience , recreational or otherwise.

The jury is still out on that issue.

In short , it works for some , but side effects for others.

No one size fits all answer , each individual reacts differently.

Classic " Catch 22 " decision for most , even with guidance from one's own gp.

Internet searches help and hinder at the same time , advice thereon is mixed.

Even test results where volunteers are given either marijuana or placebos , wthout knowing which , are mixed.
Interesting ... playing with fire !

I strongly recommend caution in view of the information in my first posting.

In fact , the article on Wikipedia is worthy of reading ... fully !

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medical_cannabis

Medical use

There is insufficient data to draw strong conclusions about the safety of medical cannabis.

Typically, adverse effects of medical cannabis use are not serious.

These include: tiredness, dizziness, cardiovascular and psychoactive effects. Tolerance to these effects develops over a period of days or weeks.

The amount of cannabis normally used for medicinal purposes is not believed to cause any permanent cognitive impairment in adults, though long-term treatment in adolescents should be weighed carefully as they are more susceptible to these impairments.

Withdrawal symptoms are rarely a problem with controlled medical administration of cannabinoids.

The ability to drive vehicle or operating machinery may be impaired until a tolerance is developed.

Although supporters of medical cannabis say that it is safe,further research is required to assess the long-term safety of its use.
My husband does for his anxiety. I believe it helps but is Also partly the cause as he abused it as a teen. He also can't cope without it now. You can become dependant just like on pills from docs. It works for him but lots of pros and cons to both sides. Ps he vapes it. No tobacco involved and no smoke involved. Cbd is legal ... it may work as is just removing the thc which is the part that gets you high.
My niece uses it too - she, too, vapes. She uses it for her FM mostly. She was put on to it by someone else she knows with FM. It is supposed to have the 'high' bit taken out!

Finding a good supplier is vital apparently - it can get pricey (ironically, probably loads more than street cannabis I expect!!!!!)

There's never 'aught for nought' in life, so there will be downsides, I'm sure (expense being one of them). I expct more medical findings will come on stream, and that at the moment, no one can really know of any long-term dangers.

'Use wisely' I suspect is the best anyone can do.

(Probably more dangerous to use it if one is already on 'anti-depressant's in that the 'mind' is already predisposed to become reliant on something ....anything....rather than if it's used only for a physical condition)
Vapes ?

Here in Worksop , a long tradition of " Problems " first started with the closure of the local mines more than 20 years ago , said shops are more numerous than even betting offices ... as are our local zombies !

I call them " Syds " ... reference to one of my " Heroes " from the sixties ... Syd Barrett ... and his subsequent history and eventual demise ... believe me , the last couple of times I saw him perform , it was heartbreaking to see the change in him. May not have been the same substances but ... he had a pre mental illness before seeking soltice elsewhere.

6 bottles for £ 10 ... I pass that shop 5 times a week on my route to the local p.o. Yesterday , walked through part of the street market ( 150 yards away from my eyrie ) ... 3 out of 13 stalls all selling similar products ... as to what's actually in the bottle ... ???

Street price of cannibas ?

I'm TOLD cheaper that tobaaco when measuring by the standard rizla sized paper ... 100% ? ... normally mixed with heaven knows what ... best to ask the local A&E at Bassetlaw Hospital !!!

Given the high proportion of East Europeans amongst our ranks in Worksop , more goods than ever are coming over from that region , including Russian ... both legal and illegal.

As I , and now Jenny , have advised before ... EXTREME CAUTION ... both as to to what is actually being sold and ... secondly ... the unknown side effects , either short or long term.

I am aware that the NHS itself has tested such cannibas vapes ... I am NOT aware if they have either passed and / or available on prescription.
The safest is probably to grow your own - but (a) that's probably still illegal (though presumably the purveyors of 'legal' cannabis have to get their 'legal' supply somewhere themselves!) and (b) no idea how complicated is the process of 'de-highing' it is!

Maybe going to somewhere like support groups for FM or MS, where the use of legal cannabis is fairly well tried, might be the best initial source of how to get a SAFE supply (ie, not from highly dodgy, probably illegal, and 'god-knows-what-they've-cut-it-with' traders.....)
Good old nicotine tobacco was first marketed for its health benefits....
For what was once legal , and now considered to be illegal ... look no further :

http://www.toptenz.net/top-10-drugs-tha ... -legal.php

Slightly off topic but ... useful to know when it comes to cannibas and other drugs now being tried in the medical field.

Not on list .... legal highs ... the scurge of many low income areas ... Black Mamba being the local zombies' preference ... until recently , on open sale until the Government changed their Drugs Policy.

Apologies again for being slightly off topic but an area virtually unrecorded on this forum until now.