[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Lithium advice - Carers UK Forum

Lithium advice

For issues specific to caring for someone with mental ill health.
Hi guys

Does anyone know how I can get my Dad to drink more water? He's on lithium and has been for a few months and has just been discharged from hospital after spending nearly eight months there. He's never been much of a drinker, but it seems all the more important now that he's on this medication.

He's had a cup of tea, a cup of coffee and a glass of water today and has now decided he doesn't want any more.

Is there a minimum amount he can have without it having an adverse effect on him?
Hi, I don't know anything about lithium and most of my experience is around getting children to drink more, so my ideas may be no good.

sucking ice cubes/ice lollies/ a glass or bottle of water perhaps with a straw in so can just take sips rather than drink a whole drink, clear soups.

It is also a case of changing habit - best done slowly. Good if can tie in drinks with routine.

I'm sure others will have more ideas.

Melly1
Hi

My Husband is on Lithium, I underdstand where you are coming from. If he does not drink much, what about foods that are high in water content? Just another way of keeping the fluids going.

Just an idea

Best

Karen