[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Is mental ill health genetic? - Carers UK Forum

Is mental ill health genetic?

For issues specific to caring for someone with mental ill health.
Topic locked [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
I believe every body have some gene / DNA with all sorts of illnesses - not only mental ill health.

How we live - environment takes a large part of our wellbeing.

What do you think?

Take a look at:
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/u ... 956380.ece
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7954451.stm
I definately agree. From my experience I watched my mother go through very bad boughts of depression and anxiety. I swore it would never happen to me.....
Fortunately I have the benefit of experience and a more modern out look on these things. So far I have managed to keep on top of it. Fingers crossed for the future!
Lisa x
Hello.

I agree, my father-in-law had depression and so did 3 out of his 4 children, my husband being one of them. His sister took her own life. My own son has depressive times as well, but I have educated him about this illness and we talk a lot, he has no worries, has agood job a nice house and car, but still the Black Dog haunts him at times.

I'm really lucky the glass is usually half full with me.
Although it is tempting to believe that a single gene will inevitably lead to a specific disease, and this is true of some conditions, this is not usually the case, many diseases are the result of a combination of specific genes leading to a genetic predisposition and disease is the consequence of a combination of both genetic and environmental factors. Mental illness is very much in this category, there was huge publicity when the gene for schizophrenia was apparently found, later followed by a much less well publicised retraction and acknowledgement that it was not a single gene disease but caused by a number of genes, and whilst it would be easy to attribute Nicholas Hughes' suicide to inherited depression I believe that it is more likely that it was a predisposition to depression combined with the circumstances of his childhood and later life which led to his suicide. I would suggest that whilst the genes can be inherited the disease itself will not always be the inevitable outcome, genetic science is in its infancy and we still do not fully understand why siblings who share the same genes do not always get a disease, for example, research using monozygotic twins has shown a substantially increased likelihood that both will experience schizophrenia compared with non-twin siblings where one has the illness but this is not always the case.
True Parsifal.

I should have mentioned that I have 2 sons and only one has depression, the other who looks more like his dad is always a happy bunny like myself.

My hubby had a really lovely childhood as did my own two sons (so they tell me) I on the other hand had a very unhappy childhood, but I almost always see the best in life. I guess I'm just very lucky.

I think my bad childhood made me the person I am today.

Remember the grass is always greener on the other side, but you still have to cut, feed and water it.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable