In an ideal world you need a professional diagnosis from a Psychiatrist but they are very thin on the ground at the moment.

And then long term therapy, if there is a good mental health team in your area, but there have been cuts in mental health and long waiting lists.

Did your husband get any help when his mum died, could still be grieving, you never really get over the death of a loved one.

But depression it likes walking through treacle, very difficult to get anywhere and you get stuck.

To do the slightest thing is difficult, low energy, low mood, low motivation, what is the point, things won't get better.

Often you can't see the light at the end of the tunnel.

He has got to think positive, he has a loving family, a roof over his head etc.

Depressed people just don't see things like that.

Full of negative thoughts, no one loves me, my family would be happier without me.

Of course that's not true but that's what many depressed people think.

First step is admitting he needs help and accepting that help.

I am a man , male unpaid carer and i know it is very difficult for some men to go to to the doctor, admit they have problems.

Men should be big and strong, stiff upper lip and all that, men don't get depressed, its a sign of weakness.

Men don't or shouldn't cry, this seems to be the message.

But this is the 21st century, men do suffer from depression, anyone from a bin man to a movie star, rich or poor, depression can hit anyone and it does hit.

Men do tend to bury their heads in the sand but depression can be treated and resolved.

There is no need to live in misery and that's what depression is , a miserable life.