[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
OCD or violent Anger - Carers UK Forum

OCD or violent Anger

For issues specific to caring for someone with mental ill health.
My partner suffers from OCD and was only diagnosed a year ago.

He seems to act out in violent ways... Either smashing holes in walls, doors, breaking objects, and throwing the odd slap in my direction, is this to be expected alongside ocd?

Im his carer yet not been given any information on who can help me, im already looking after our 2 young children and finding this increasingly difficult.

Any advice would be much appreciated
Whatever the excuse, that is domestic abuse. Do not let this continue, get help. It's especially important as children are involved.
Hi Ami I suffer with ocd and have been quite poorly with it at times but never have I been violent to either property or people. I know people react differently to problems and it causes high levels of anxiety but this is no excuse to attack anyone else and should not be tolerated. Is he on medication or having any type of talking therapy ?
I agree. I really don't think it matters what is causing it (and I don't see why it should be OCD), the only important thing is the safety of your children and yourself. Your partner needs to be removed from the house until he can control his behaviour, even if that takes medication.

He sounds like a 'loose cannon', entirely out of self-control.

Please get help immediately. This can't continue.

If you draw a blank with GP and SS, then please phone a women's aid helpline and they will guide you through it, and if necessary, give you some safe place to get to while your husband is sorted out. Failing that completely, can you go and stay with a relative or friend. This is NOT acceptable behaviour by your partner - it's dangerous.
Hi Amie,

This forum and its members can only give basic advice and possibly signpost you to specific support. Your hubbys GP/consultant and/or you own should be able to give you some leaflets, local telephone numbers wherein you can get 24/7 support. Your safety, and that of your children, is paramount but so is the reason behind it all.
If hubby takes no medication he may need some.
If he does take some it may be making him worse. You need PROFESSIONAL advice.

In the meantime I am posting some links that may help you.

OCDaction have their own support forum here

Specific section for carers and family
http://www.ocdaction.org.uk/forums/supp ... nd-parents

Details of their helpline on this link below
http://www.ocdaction.org.uk/getting-sup ... ation-line
Calls are charged at a local rate from a standard BT land line, mobile phone charges may vary You don't have to give your name if you don't want to.

There is also phone numbers for Domestic Violence. If you think you need/want them let me know and I can post them here but I don't want to overload you with too much info all at once.

Think about giving OCDaction a try. Better you speak to those that understand this illness better. They may be able to help.

x x