[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Research-Schizophrenia, Bipolar, Schizo affective Disorder - Carers UK Forum

Research-Schizophrenia, Bipolar, Schizo affective Disorder

For issues specific to caring for someone with mental ill health.
Hello to all

Our Son took part in this research and was interviewed at home.

If you have a diagnosis of Bipolar Affective Disorder, Schizophrenia or Schizo Affective Disorder you may consider taking part in a worldwide piece of research which is trying to see if these conditions have a genetic cause.

The chief investigator for this study is Dr Andrew McQuillin.

Details below:Text or Phone Lisa Douglas: 07881942333 landline: 0151 488 7317 or e-mail research@cwp.nhs.uk

You can also learn more at the molecular psychiatry website at University College London:
http://www.ucl.ac.uk/molecular-psychiat ... ment/about

Regards
It's a bit of a double-edged sword, isn't it, if some types of mental illness is hereditary/genetic.

Would you want to know, or not? Those here with a caree, or themselves, afflicted by a physical health genetically linked disease would perhaps be best placed to comment.

Perhaps it boils down to whether knowing one is 'predisposed' genetically means you can take steps earlier to maintain better health, before symptoms appear??

A very similar debate exists, too, in 'Cancerworld' as to whether 'ordinary' cancer is or isn't genetically disposed (the 'hidden heriditability' question, where there isn't a precisely known link, like the BRCA gene, but where cancer pops up over and over again 'sporadically' in families, but with no particular consistency or predictability, etc.)

That said, anyone whose parent was affected by cancer has to face the possibility that there is a genetic predisposition. My son will always have to be 'extra aware' so that he can take what preventative steps he can (eg, lifestyle) and what early awareness steps he can (eg, screening), to stop him ending up like his poor dad - taken utterly unawares in middle age by terminal cancer.

It's interesting that the research your son is participating in is looking for genetic links, rather than just 'brain chemistry' - because of course the catch-22 of the brain chemistry approach to mental illness is whether the altered/pathlogical brain chemistry is a Cause of the mental illness, or merely a Symptom or Expression.....

A genetic approach would anchor that firmly into Cause (or at least, predisposition).

With mental illness running in my own family, it's not something that personally, I want to explore or question for myself!

Even with a genetic predisposition to certain types of mental illness, hopefully 'mental/psychological/emotional lifestyle' (???) can do a lot to mitigate the appearance or severity (or even curability?) of the situation???? Do hope so!