[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
e-petition to get A&E working for the mentally ill - Carers UK Forum

e-petition to get A&E working for the mentally ill

For issues specific to caring for someone with mental ill health.
If you saw the Panorama expose on how the mentally ill are forced to use the police in times of crises rather than A&E you will agree that it is time the Government and NHS changed this situation, and now.

I've set up a petition calling for the government to create equality between services for physical and mental illness. Please sign it and share with your friends.

The shocking Panorama program "Locked up for being ill" can still be seen here : http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... Being_Ill/

My petition is here ]http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/55245[/url]
Signed

x
Hello Chris, I have had to deal with crisis in mental health with my caree several times since his breakdown in 2004, and the police were the only people who came to my assistance, even when my husband was under the care of the CMHT!! The police were the only people who actually helped in the end...aah well that's what you get when they cut back on beds.

Hope you get lots of signatures keep up the good work.
I've had the same problem. The police can be very understanding and are far better than A&E but that is a disgrace. We need proper A&E services for the mentally ill.
Hi Chris,

Have signed.

Back in the 1980's I was at a psychiatric hospital on night duty as a student nurse. I can remember 2 policemen coming through the door, once we had unlocked it, with a young girl who was schizophrenic. The staff nurse went berserk at the policemen because they had put handcuffs on her. She was only little, the staff nurse, but they were so quick to remove the handcuffs. Ive never seen the staff nurse so angry, the police were acting like she was a criminal. I've never forgotten that.
I have signed. My OH had experience of this when nasty neighbours wound him up to breaking, the called the police on him. He was abused by the police, called names and told to shut up and stop being a pain to society, as well as having his wrists, arms and somehow his head seriously bruised when in custody.
Signed. Had to deal with this exact situation last night
The House of Lords discussed this problem last week. I haven't read the transcripts yet but will hopefully get through that today. The important thing is to get the House of Commons to discuss it ASAP and start making changes NOW - http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/55245
Police are doing a great job in the mean time but they shouldn't have to, are not medically trained to do so, and don't have the facilities to keep people who are in crisis. That is why they are opening themselves up to a charge of torture and very big fines. They should also put pressure on the NHS to do the job now.

Chris