[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Declined PIP for my 16 year old - Carers UK Forum

Declined PIP for my 16 year old

For issues specific to caring for someone with mental ill health.
We were in receipt of high rate of mobility, my daughter suffers with ME and CPS as well as depression, her mobility allowed us to send her to school via taxi a cost of £38 per day.
She is already quite isolated and doesn't do the normal things a teen should do. She is now so low she says being alive is torture, we have been to Cyps and are considering a inpatients offer, however this is scary, it breaks my heart to see her like this, PIP have taken away the little dependence she had and on top of her GCSES this was to much. We now have the look at hospital schooling again, I think I am going to have to leave the job I love as we cannot afford to fund taxis and I'm terrified I will lose her.
Clare, I suggest you get in touch with IPSEA re cost of taxis. Appeal against PIP decision asap.
Do appeal. I was watching the PIP debate in parliament yesterday and they said something like 65% of decisions get overturned at appeal. Ask your MP for help. Lots of people do. Or visit the Benefits and Work site for advice on how to appeal. Don't give up - lots of bad decisions are being made at the moment only to be overturned on appeal.
Clare, be sure to ring the Carers UK helpline. The rules for claiming some income related benefits are different, and your daughter may be entitled to much more than just PIP, although she is only 16. My son with learning difficulties is now 37, so the names fo some benefits have changed, but he was in receipt of Income Support even when he was living in a boarding school!!! I double checked this a number of times to make sure this was correct, and was assured each time that it was. We saved the money up for him to make a little "nest egg" and so when he moved into a flat 15 years later, he could have all new appliances etc. to give him a really good start.
I don't know the rules for current 16 year olds, but the helpline will give you all the up to date information.
bowlingbun wrote:Clare, I suggest you get in touch with IPSEA re cost of taxis. Appeal against PIP decision asap.
Thank you I will.
Jessie04 wrote:Do appeal. I was watching the PIP debate in parliament yesterday and they said something like 65% of decisions get overturned at appeal. Ask your MP for help. Lots of people do. Or visit the Benefits and Work site for advice on how to appeal. Don't give up - lots of bad decisions are being made at the moment only to be overturned on appeal.
Thank you I will send the mandatory consideration letter tomorrow
bowlingbun wrote:Clare, be sure to ring the Carers UK helpline. The rules for claiming some income related benefits are different, and your daughter may be entitled to much more than just PIP, although she is only 16. My son with learning difficulties is now 37, so the names fo some benefits have changed, but he was in receipt of Income Support even when he was living in a boarding school!!! I double checked this a number of times to make sure this was correct, and was assured each time that it was. We saved the money up for him to make a little "nest egg" and so when he moved into a flat 15 years later, he could have all new appliances etc. to give him a really good start.
I don't know the rules for current 16 year olds, but the helpline will give you all the up to date information.
I will give them a call thank you
Did the "assessor" make a home visit to assess him, or did he have to go to their medical centre?

Claimants need to be able to express the negative effects of living with their illness or disability. You need to see a list of the category headings and how points are scored.