[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Compassion for Voices – A tale of courage and hope -Carers UK Forum

Compassion for Voices – A tale of courage and hope

For issues specific to caring for someone with mental ill health.
King's College London presents Compassion for Voices – A tale of courage and hope - A 5-minute animated film about Stuart and his voices

http://www.kcl.ac.uk/cultural/culturali ... /film.aspx

They also promote ‘Compassion-focused approach to threat, dissociation and voice dialogue in psychosis’. As a family member we need to hear more about how hearing voices is not a disease to be cured, but a complex, meaningful human experience that needs acceptance and support. I would love to hear other people's thoughts about this.
Hi anna,
I joined the forum that you suggested for phycological treatments into psychosis so i will be interested to read the latest views and studies.
I am also reading a book called the compassionate mind Which has been recommended to me by an NH S phycologist. I will be working on the exercises to help me. It is a very interesting book. I also do a 12 step fellowship which although it does not tackle voices etc very much works on compassion for yourself and others. It also works on forgiveness and love which is very important for dealing with issues of anger resentment and guilt all things that although a normal part of human experience can lead to depression and other phycological problems and psychiatric difficulties. It does this by a variety of phycological/ spiritual approaches such as writing a gratitude list every day, doing a kind act for someone each day, loving kindness meditation where you send love out into the world and if you have a resentment/ anger toward someone visualising giving them love or flowers that sort of thing . I don't know what psychological exercises this book will recommend i do as i haven't got to that section yet or indeed what approaches i will use in the psychotherapy that i am going to get on the NHS. But what i do know is that the 6 years i used the approaches were the most stable and well i have been. I was not taking medication with the full support of my then phyciatrist and had no voices delusions etc. it was only when i had a variety of things happen in my life such as he death of my best friend that i stopped doing these things and i lost confidence that these approaches would work. Maybe if i had kept on with them i would not have relapsed i dont know.
I find it hard to be listened to as the majority of phychiatrist only think of medication as the only solution and if you query it and want to explore other avenues they say you are non compliant. As i said i was only lucky enough to have one phychiatrist on side and it was the wellest i have ever been.
One of the things i had to do in my 12 step fellowship was write down and discuss any things i felt guilty about in my life and apologise to people for any wrong doing. This was to remove feelings of shame and guilt. Initially after that process i felt terrible and very distressed but after 4 days i felt like a weight off my shoulders and at one with the world. Both the nhs phycologist and the private one i see were not to impressed with that approach and the one referred to it as a high risk strategy. I was interested on their take as i have come across this before but i was only well during that time in my life. I would be interested in your views on that? What sort of approaches have they suggested to your son and have they been helpful?
Anna

You are a star. I showed this to my son's case manager today, and he is 100% on board and going to help us find suitable exercises and maybe even organise some therapy through the NHS. Sounds like a fantastic alternative to just doping my son up and relying heavily on intervention forever.

Thank you so much xx
Hi Jade,
From my experience and through the experience of others, it appears recovery from psychosis is a personal journey. What works for one may not work for another. If you find something that works for you, then go for it. I think you are amazing by your attempts to overcome and start living your life again. I think my son may have his experience for a while so instead of getting rid of his unusual beliefs, attempts to find a way of living with them and finding meaning in them may be more beneficial in the long term.
Anna
Hi Stephanie
Glad to be of help. I don't like the idea of advising people on this forum but it's great for sharing our experiences and anything we find that helps us on our journey. From my experience, psychosis did not just happen to my son but to the whole family and it needs to be recognised that Mums and families need to go through their recovery too. I have no doubt in my mind that it is not only possible for loved ones to recover from psychosis but inevitable.
Take Care
Anna x