CBT experience

For issues specific to caring for someone with mental ill health.
We've finally got an appointment next week for CBT.
The last time my wife was offered counselling , she had panic attacks about everything.
I know roughly what to expect, having had some counselling a long time ago, so does anyone have any practical advice on how the first sessions go?
All I know is that CBT is far more structured than general counselling. MOre concerned with self assessment throughout and a single minded approach. No digging up of past history and trauma but focuses on a more singular issue/aspect.

But I think (unsure) that there are a variety of approaches even within the CBT field.....

The first session is likely to be on merely identifying current difficulties.

Dunno if this helps at all but best I can do and I didn't want to leave you hanging ok? Good luck to you both :D
DR
Yes, I agree with Danced. My niece and SIL has had CBT - it focusses on the practical ways you can 'retrain' your mind, so the distressing symptoms can be 'self-controlled', rather than delving deep into the psyche about why the problems arose in the first place.

I would say that CBT is generally 'complementary' to ''deep delving' approaches, and don't exclude each other.

To my mind, anything that works, is justified!

I could definitely envisage CBT working for panic attacks, allowing someone to recognise 'triggers' and so on, and developing mental techniques for 'heading a panic attack off at the pass', or 'mimising the intensity and duration' and so on.

All the very best with it! Are you going together? Even if not, why don't YOU read up on it quite a lot (ie, even if your wife isn't up to it), and even if you dont' necessary tell your wife all you know - but it would surely be useful for you to understand the principles, and what the approach is likely to be. You'll also, when you are 'back home' need to know how best to support your wife, so that you don't inadvertently counter what she has been taught to do in the CBT sessions!
I've just tried googling 'CBT first session' and loads comes up! Including links to You tube 'first session' case studies - not sure if the interviews are 'real' or 'staged'. Most seem to be about depression, but there might be some that deal with panic attacks.

You might find it helpful to browse.
Ok, I've added 'Panic attacks CBT' into Youtube search and quite a lot comes up !

The one I'm watching now is about not avoiding panic-inducing situations, but not panicking - to feel anxious, without panicking - because panicking is a choice.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XR1pzHbWHz0

(it's a bit American - theres lots of others though)
Thanks for the comments. I've read up about it, but have realised that what the websites say and reality in the NHS can be different.
I am going with her initially, but expect she will want the discussion to be confidential , as I know I can join in when I should keep silent.
But , when I've sat in on her psychiatrists meetings, she doesn't get her point across, but tends to nod and agree with whatevers said just to get the meeting over.
OK, I'll go along and shut up.(just arguing with myself now)
Her main problem is severe recurrent depression. The panic attacks are just a extra .
Here's a more British (well, Irish!) one - she seems very calm and sensible - talks you through it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dezfhA7Yh6k

One interesting thing she says is that the symptoms of a panic attack will dissipate of their own accord after a few minutes.

She's currently doing a hyperventilation exercise - I started it too, and then my poor cat woke up and looked very anxiously at me - so I stopped - I don't what him having a panic attack as I simulate one!!!!!! :)