[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
carers assessment - Carers UK Forum

carers assessment

For issues specific to caring for someone with mental ill health.
finally had mine. what a complete waste of time. the socil worker who called out, had no idea of mental health issues. told her the problems i have, told her how each day was and she said you do a great job. she asked me what help i needed so i told her,that i need some time to do other things other than caring for my partner. time to be able to go and visit my family etc. her reply was we dont have anything that can help you with that as the people we use dont have experience in mental health so we cannot help you. her suggestion was to pass it to the mental health team and see if there could help. also she suggested that i go to charitys to get help. what a mess. as if i dont feel alone enough. to know there is no help so i can just get a hour to myself.

anyway rant over...
finally had mine. what a complete waste of time. the socil worker who called out, had no idea of mental health issues. told her the problems i have, told her how each day was and she said you do a great job. she asked me what help i needed so i told her,that i need some time to do other things other than caring for my partner. time to be able to go and visit my family etc. her reply was we dont have anything that can help you with that as the people we use dont have experience in mental health so we cannot help you. her suggestion was to pass it to the mental health team and see if there could help. also she suggested that i go to charitys to get help. what a mess. as if i dont feel alone enough. to know there is no help so i can just get a hour to myself.

anyway rant over...

Contact Crossroads for Carers, they CAN help even with mental illness & SS will pay .....in my situation, after my Carers assessment, my mother goes twice a week to a day centre (with transport) & gets taken out for 3 hrs twice per week. Costs to me are nominal.

Social Services weren't allowed to do this for HER, but they could and do pay Crossroads for ME to have a break.

Daft rules I know, but it's worth a try. Good luck.
thank you i will give them a try. the rules are stupid more so as there accept i need help. seems we are the poor relations when it comes to caring and ss.
Didn't even bother. They rang me and asked "what specifically do you want an assessment for" and when I mentioned the Carer's Pack and issues I have they said "we are mainly here to advise on what equipment we can provide to aid the person you care for".
By this time (about 1 month after I had requested an assessment) the Stroke Association had already helped out. A complete waste of time. I have had more interest from a stranger in the street.
Another case of the wrong people in the wrong jobs.
Gill, take a look here:
Norfolk County Council - Carers Assessments

There's rather more to a carers assessment than you were told: for example, what happens to the person you care for if something happens to you?

Also, you may find this helpful:

http://www.norfolkcarershelpline.org.uk/
Hi Charles,

I know what the Council website says but reality is somewhat different. The best support I have is from the Community Care team at the QEH who visit the lady I care for. There are are some very 'special' people there who are more like friends than therapists.

Will check out Crossroads. Image

Gill
Remember though that what they say on the website gives you something to quote as a statement of their current policy...