[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
GAD, Social Phobia and CFS any suggestions... - Carers UK Forum

GAD, Social Phobia and CFS any suggestions...

For issues specific to caring for someone with mental ill health.
I am a full time carer for a teenage daughter with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Generalised Anxiety Disorder and Social Phobia and even with the support of hospital health professionals who have been very helpful we seem to have reached an impass. My daughter will not go out alone and worries about everything. In her world she sees the negative slant about everything and it is a constant battle to correct her thinking. When she has sufficient energy she can meet with friends in a handful of safe environments. What troubles me is that she is lost in life generally, cannot cope with any stress or pressure and feels unable to cope with education input even in the most caring environments. How do I get her to see there is a life out there to grasp onto and to encourage self management of energy,pain and worries. Trying to coax her out of bed is a daily challenge. Trips to anywhere push my counselling skills and our trusting relationship to the test but I know after many years of caring and much research gradual exposure into society is the key....

Thanks for listening
This won't solve all of your daughter's problems, and I'm sorry about that. But what's I'm suggesting might at least reduce her isolation and give her a bit of social interraction.

Encourage her to join the Foggy Friends forum (it's for people with CFS and/or M.E.) - she'll be able to enjoy at least the virtual company of people her own age in a safe and suportive environment. They won't be able to help her with the GAD, but a lot of them might be able to give a bit of empathy and perspective. Image
http://www.foggyfriends.org/