[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Support for someone who works in mental health - Carers UK Forum

Support for someone who works in mental health

For issues specific to caring for someone with mental ill health.
Hi all

I'm new to board - posted my intro to the forum yesterday.

My OH is suffering from depression - just started anti depressants and is looking at options for therapy, having been to get some support and been referred to a centre near us. We have good days and bad days. Yesterday was a particularly bad day. Today was looking brighter when I left for work.

One big problem for him is that he works for social services, as a support worker in mental health. The irony is not lost on either of us - but enough of us know people in this area of work, that we know this isn't an uncommon situation. In accessing support - groups, counselling/therapy etc - he's concerned about running into people from work, or people he knows via work.

I wondered if anyone on here had experience of a similar situation, or any advice.

thank you x
Hi Phoenix, a difficult situation for your husband and for you too as I know how difficult coping with a loved one who suffers from depression can be.

Whilst I can appreciate how worried your husband may be about work colleagues, from my own experience when I went through a very difficult time in my life, I asked and was fortunate to receive counselling via work (I worked in the NHS). I found colleagues very understanding but, probably like your husband I was concerned that showing any sign of weakness would be held against me. I'm thankful I was able to discuss my problem with my line manager and the support was available. I think if I hadn't and my work suffered as a result of the way I was feeling at the time, it would have been more difficult.

Tough call this though I'm sure. Hope things are sorted and your hubby is able to get some support which in turn will help you too.

Bell x