Absolutely appalled!

For issues specific to caring for someone with mental ill health.
Came home from work today and my son was in a really bad way he has psychosis /schizophrenia and was very agitated and stressed. He refuses to go to hospital now as we sit for hours in a really busy waiting room which is not good when he is hearing voices and is paranoid. We went along to the gp thinking it was a better option only for him to say I don't know anything about mental health you need to go to hospital ! I went home and rang the crisis Team who said go to hospital and could give me no option to be seen at home although they did give me a number for a social services person who could section him with a psychiatrist. I rsng them to be told this doesn't happen and gave me another number for the crisis Team but when I rang them they only work until 7pm and this was 730. I rang 111 who told us to go to hospital and he was still refusing to go. I suggested ringing an ambulance but they said if he has capacity and refuses to go they can't take him. I am beyond disgusted with the whole system
Debra_16011 wrote: I suggested ringing an ambulance but they said if he has capacity and refuses to go they can't take him. I am beyond disgusted with the whole system
I am really appalled that any carer has to go through this charade. It is disgusting.
The only thing I can suggest is to phone the police on 999 and say that you feel your life is threatened, and to say that that you are recording the call. You do not have to be in this situation, they have a duty to care, you do not.
He has actually calmed down now more by me patiently talking to him and telling him that I am on his side he has seen how hard I've tried to get him some help I just am so appalled at the lack of compassion social services did say they have logged the call I was so angry I told them that when there is a tragedy in my family at least it will be logged that I tried ( and failed) to get him some help ! Unbelievable !
Debra_16011 wrote:He has actually calmed down now more by me patiently talking to him and telling him that I am on his side he has seen how hard I've tried to get him some help I just am so appalled at the lack of compassion social services did say they have logged the call I was so angry I told them that when there is a tragedy in my family at least it will be logged that I tried ( and failed) to get him some help ! Unbelievable !
Firstly, well done for defusing the situation tonight - that is what carers do every day, and we never get the credit for it.
In the long run, there are some decent quality services out there, but they are not easy to access and are very expensive.Your social worker needs to be given a hard reality check: if you cannot cope, they will have to. So, why not work together as a team to plan a win-win solution, rather than wait for the next crisis?
We don't actually have a social worker I was just given the number by the crisis Team but it seems we don't need support from social services :shock: I'm thinking about writing to my mp as the lack of support has shocked me I always thought that in a crisis someone will be able to help it's probably all down to funding but people are going to die needlessly and it's not acceptable
I'm glad your son has calmed down. I hope he remains calmer.

I just wanted to say - I think writing to your MP is a brilliant idea. It probably is mainly down to lack of resources . Mental health isn't well funded and our loved ones often can't get the care they need. We need to do what we can.
Well my son didn't calm down for long he had a major episode on Friday where he doused himself with some liquid which we both thought was flammable (turned out to be screenwash for the car but neither of us knew that) then held his lighter over his clothes to set himself alight ! I had rung the police an hour earlier but they had no one available so when I rang back and screamed down the phone what he was doing they were here within minutes along with the fire brigade and an ambulance. He is now in hospital and we have been left feeling shocked and traumatized
Debra. I'm sure you are shocked and traumatised! How utterly devastating for you. Hopefully the hospital will keep him calm and help towards some recovery. Sending big ((((( hugs)))).
Do hope you can get some sleep xx
Thank you pet for the kind words and hugs means a lot x
Really sorry this happened.

Awful though it is that things had to get so far before you could get any help, at least now your son is safe and will hopefully get some help.

Look after yourself.