Adult daughter in residential total heartbreak

For issues specific to caring for someone with learning disabilities
It's really early days yet, for both of you.
Maybe she could visit briefly at Christmas? I'd suggest that you check with the home what they do.

Some places encourage residents to see family, but of course as the years pass many have lost both parents. One place my son went to closed down completely for the holiday.
Well the home and sw will encourage jess to come home for xmas but she’s one stubborn lass. ( Down syndrome #1 trait)
So I’ll see how it pans out.
Had a lovely visit with lotsa hugs today but she’s still not ready to visit home!
X
Tara,
Glad you had a good visit today. If she doesn't want to visit home on Christmas Day then maybe she will on Boxing Day.

Melly1
Tara _1909 wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:58 pm
Well the home and sw will encourage jess to come home for xmas but she’s one stubborn lass. ( Down syndrome #1 trait)
So I’ll see how it pans out.
Had a lovely visit with lotsa hugs today but she’s still not ready to visit home!
X
Good luck!
Tara, it may not feel like it, but you are very lucky that your daughter has settled so quickly and doesn't want to come home all the time. I'm rather envious!

Maybe you could do something special for the home, to involve all the residents? Even if it's just a special afternoon tea for everyone, then you can get to know her new friends better.

Are you finding it difficult to plan something for your own future? When did you last have a proper holiday? I go to a wonderful "singles only" hotel in Crete. It's definitely not a dating hotel, but somewhere you can feel safe, relax, swim, chill by the pool all day, walk, do trips out every day if you want. Best of all you can have delicious Cretan food, and a drink and proper conversation with people in a similar position. I always say it was where I learned to live and laugh again after the death of my husband.

Maybe next year think about how you can enjoy your freedom?
I’ve applied for a few jobs and doing a few work training days in dec.
my bf and me have been away for odd weekend and ive had so much quality time with my other daughter.
Just miss the little space where jess should be.
X
Ps I always take in chocs for jess to share with her friends and it seems she’s happy. Im grateful for that.