[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Teaching independence? - Carers UK Forum

Teaching independence?

For issues specific to caring for someone with learning disabilities
I'm continuing the general theme of providing opportunities to develop independent living skills, and today was another great milestone.
My sons' paid befriender/peer supporter/buddy (a lad he went to school with since the age of 5, and who is just a year older at 17) was in Glasgow City staying with his dad, and so we decided to let J travel there and back by bus by himself, meeting up at the big city bus station, then going to a movie, having a burger, and coming home.
Glasgow is 45 minutes by bus from our home, and like any big city, it can be a scary place, but also offers lots of attractions.
Luckily everything went according to plan. Everyone having mobile phones really helps when setting up this kind of learning experience; its all about letting go in stages, so good three-way communications are vital.
Hi Excalibur,

It must have been a bit nerve-wracking for you but well done to J Image

These reassuring moments do happen, don't they? They start off in the smallest of ways but it's enough for one to see there is a stronger chance for independence... Image

Sezzie.
Well done J, and to you and L Rob. Cant have been easy but a great achievement

x x
How fab. Well done to all involved.
What's next?

Melly1
How fab. Well done to all involved.
What's next?

Melly1
Watch this space ... he's only 16 and as far as I can see it the sky is the limit. Today he went swimming at 10]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... /Drill.jpg[/img]
Fab picture, S is a whizz at putting up flat pack and loves youtube as a way of researching his interests.

Shall be watching out for more progress reports.

Melly1
I'm continuing the general theme of providing opportunities to develop independent living skills, and today was another great milestone.
My sons' paid befriender/peer supporter/buddy (a lad he went to school with since the age of 5, and who is just a year older at 17) was in Glasgow City staying with his dad, and so we decided to let J travel there and back by bus by himself, meeting up at the big city bus station, then going to a movie, having a burger, and coming home.
Glasgow is 45 minutes by bus from our home, and like any big city, it can be a scary place, but also offers lots of attractions.
Luckily everything went according to plan. Everyone having mobile phones really helps when setting up this kind of learning experience; its all about letting go in stages, so good three-way communications are vital.
That is absolutly BRILLIANT!
My boy has been selected to take part in a European transnational programme for rural young people in rural Finland in late August for 100 young people from 10 or more countries!! I think he will be one of very few young people with disabilities on the programme, maybe the only one: it looks like a lot of fun and a great educational experience: http://www.rural.fi/en/index/leader/ama ... r2011.html

We will be sending another young person he knows well with him as a peer-supporter. Jordan is becoming a very experienced traveller now, and is currently in Canada on vacation with family staying in a log cabin by a lake whilst enjoying some ourdoor fun fishing, swimming and canoeing. I think the fact that Jordan is so active in sports and such an experienced traveller was a key factor in securing him a place on this programme. Its wonderful how doors are opening left right and centre now]Amaze Me Leader!

Time: 22 to 28 August 2011

Place: Finland

What: Amaze Me Leader is an action-packed international rural event for young people, an adventure exploring the Leader spirit and the work of the Finnish Leader rural support programme.Amaze Me Leader tours the Finnish countryside, and participants will find out more about rural life and Leader-based rural development work, get involved, carry out tasks and try out different things together.The aim of Amaze Me Leader is to get European young people in rural areas involved in rural development, to build European networks among young people and also to market Leader itself.

For whom: Active rural young people 16 to 28 years of age.

Price: The participation fee is EUR 100. This includes the adventure programme (including car hire and petrol), accommodation, breakfast and dinner. Participants are responsible for their own insurance.

What will you need:

Outdoor leisure gear suitable for all-weather hiking.
Bedroll and sleeping bag. Note that the accommodation will be dormitory-type accommodation. We will be staying at village halls and camp centres.
An adventuring spirit and Leader enthusiasm!

Signing up: We can admit a maximum of 100 adventurers on a first-come-first-served basis. We have a preliminary nationality quota of 10 participants per country. We will be able to revise nationality quotas after registration closes on 31 May.

Registration is now closed:

We received over 130 registrations from 17 countries. It is too bad, that we can't invite everyone! We can take only 100 participants. On Monday 13 June we will make the final list and let everyone know who were accepted.

Adventure organisers: The event is being organised by the Rural Network Unit together with the four Leader groups: Viisari, Ylä-Savon Veturi, Joensuu region Leader and South Karelian Kärki-LEADER.
[/quote]
well done Rob. Sounds like will be an amazing experience.
Do you want to adopt me Rob? Image Image Image Image
Sounds like it will be an amazing experience Image