[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Dad moving to care home - I feel terrible - Page 2 - Carers UK Forum

Dad moving to care home - I feel terrible

For issues specific to caring for someone with dementia.
Thanks BB,
Yes, all very draining indeed. Turns out dad’s new room has no toilet, tv doesn’t work and only one hot meal a day.
So many things to sort out …
Will post with other questions as and when. Browsing through the forum is very helpful x
bowlingbun wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:03 pm
Happy to help.
If you tell the bank you've been told he's not fit to go home, suspected dementia, they should understand.
I reclaimed £8,000 from Hampshire on behalf of mum, when they didn't apply the rules properly.
My top pieces of advice right now would be
1) DON'T SIGN ANYTHING!
2) Ask for them to email everything to you - refuse to engage in long phone calls. They may say something that they deny later.
It's already clear from your posts that the LA is trying to intimidate you into doing things.

Your own financial situtation is irrelevant. Ignore any comments about "top ups". Unlawful!
Any assessment must be done solely on dad's own money and assets.

Feel free to ask the forum anything you like, it's a huge learning curve.
It's also incredibly draining, extra so in your own circumstances.
Long term, what do you want to happen now?
Would it be better if he was moved to a care home near you AFTER they've worked out what is really wrong with him, i.e. Parkinsons etc.?
Did they do a brain scan to rule out dementia?
bowlingbun wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:08 pm
Long term, what do you want to happen now?
Would it be better if he was moved to a care home near you AFTER they've worked out what is really wrong with him, i.e. Parkinsons etc.?
Did they do a brain scan to rule out dementia?
I think I’d like to have him moved to a care home nearer me. Asked the care home about the Parkinson’s tests and they said they didn’t know anything about that and it wasn’t in his notes! So been trying to get in touch with his GP to chase that. The CPN is going to visit him tomorrow to see about the memory clinic and I told the care home to check with her about the Parkinson’s. He had a brain scan back at the main hospital in April when he fell and doctors said there was no sign of ‘new’ deterioration, though noted how confused he was.
If there was no sign of "new" deterioration, surely that suggests that there was some identified previously?
There is such a thing as Parkinson’s dementia.

Just popping in and out.
Thanks Penny and BB,
We have a date for 3rd August at the memory clinic so hopefully we’ll get some answers now. In the meantime he’s been put in isolation for 14 days in the care home because he moved in from a hospital. He’s not at all happy complains about the isolation and loneliness - it’s all very sad …
It really is terrible Jane about care home residents having to isolate when they come from hospital. I am sure your Dad is feeling lonely and isolated. A few of my friends parents have been in this position and really struggled. It’s actually like being in prison.

One friend’s Mum isolated for 14 days when she moved into a care home. She spent one day after that getting to know people, then had a fall and they insisted she should go to hospital. She then had to spend another 14 days in isolation and was distraught.
How sad for your friend’s mum - practically 28 days in isolation! And it’s all happening just at a time when they’re so vulnerable, going through a huge change and really need some care and personal attention. Heartbreaking x
I went through the same situation. I think there's always a lot of sadness because you don't want to break up with the people you care about. I'm sorry. I understand what you're going through, and it's always difficult. That's why I've been looking for a care organization for my loved one myself. I was lucky enough to find a good and reliable organization that cares and supports people with these problems. I often visit my loved one, and I'm sure they give him enough care, help, and support to make him feel better.