[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Worried About Mum's Memory - Carers UK Forum

Worried About Mum's Memory

For issues specific to caring for someone with dementia.
Hi,
Ive been caring for Mum since July last year as she is 99% housebound and only gets out to the chiropodists once every 5 weeks. She's 93 years young ! with seized knee joints and hips, and fluid build up on her legs plus this plus that,all things considered she's not too bad.
My main worry is now her memory. She repeats herself over and over again, and the following day, for example " When do you go to collect my pension money ?", half hour later same question, and maybe the next day she will ask again.
Ive put this down to her age and not being able to get out much ( she refuses to go out unless there's a loo handy ! (she is on Ferusamide water tablets and is in the loo every 20 minutes during the mornings to rid the fluid build up )

So now I'm worried if this anything to worry about especially as I hear a lot of issues with Dementia ? Or is Dementia a totally different matter altogether. ?
Sorry to be a pain ! x
I reported my concerns about Dad's memory to the GP and she's got him a referral to the Memory Clinic for this Friday. I now suspect the memory issue if down to Dad's various other problems...
Worth following up with the GP if you are concerned.
it cant hurt to ask the doctor to investigate if you are concerned. I was unsure if dad was just 'old' or had a problem - til one day the doctor asked if he knew the date and he was a few days out, got the wrong month, season..... he was then given a proper dementia test and the nurse giving it recognised he had a memory probl;em of sorts - they passed him onto for a CT scan and appt at the adult mental health unit....

but, apparently the system changed on september 1....
I was given info on what would happen based on the old system - and Dad had to land right in the middle of th changeover.. so we still dont know what exactly is going to be done.
Hi,
Ive been caring for Mum since July last year as she is 99% housebound and only gets out to the chiropodists once every 5 weeks. She's 93 years young ! with seized knee joints and hips, and fluid build up on her legs plus this plus that,all things considered she's not too bad.
My main worry is now her memory. She repeats herself over and over again, and the following day, for example " When do you go to collect my pension money ?", half hour later same question, and maybe the next day she will ask again.
Ive put this down to her age and not being able to get out much ( she refuses to go out unless there's a loo handy ! (she is on Ferusamide water tablets and is in the loo every 20 minutes during the mornings to rid the fluid build up )

So now I'm worried if this anything to worry about especially as I hear a lot of issues with Dementia ? Or is Dementia a totally different matter altogether. ?
Sorry to be a pain ! x
hi i too am worried about my dads memory,I kept saying oh its just his age, 89, but this week thoughts about his mental health has been dominating my thinjing. His right hand has begun to shakewhen rested, he can ask 5,6, times the same question,is it still raining?
and its the same answer that I give, he keeps fidgeting and constantly moving little items on the table, offering me the contents of his wallet yesterday and asked me what I wanted, 2 p's and 1p's separated and in lines. The kitchen blind is up then down, the cord wrapped around the top and today the cord was removed, so I had to put it back. He says he doesn't feel well or doesn't feel right,but doesn't have any pain.He was starting to eat much better and enjoying his meals and said that was smashing, but he's not really interested now and he just says he doesn't want anything. He has changed, I know it, and sometimes he has a droopy look( but not a stoke), a very old person look with confusion and a 'vacant' look.It's just how I see it. I wrote to his dr with my worries, but shes on holidaythis week, phoned adult SS, but they said to see his dr first. Things are niggling away in my head, but trying to think logically and sensibly. So here I am writing about it to you all.
Best wishes RRB
i took my mum to gp yesterday. bloods and urine tests came back fine.
she did a test on mum, scored 3 out of 10. got my name wrong in one of the questions.
she has referred her to the memory clinic.
I found it emotionally draining doing this. i know it was and is the right thing to do, but it was not at all easy.
I know it's not easy, been through it myself. Things got a lot easier once I knew what I was dealing with. Thanks in part to her medication and some coping strategies we've picked up along the way she doubled her score at her last assessment ! The main thing i've learnt is just to take one day at a time .
I know it's not easy, been through it myself. Things got a lot easier once I knew what I was dealing with. Thanks in part to her medication and some coping strategies we've picked up along the way she doubled her score at her last assessment ! The main thing i've learnt is just to take one day at a time .
I do agree with you there Jane.
Its often the unkown that is the scariest. The mind can go into overdrive. RRB
memory clinic appt. for my mum on monday 11a.m. They are coming out to see her at home. they want me there for some imput, but feeling very nervous about it all. if they prescribe medication she will never remember to take it. so don't know the answer to that one as i am a hours drive away. i am trying to move closer to her, but cannot sell our property so far.
would they arrange for a carer to go into her and make sure she takes it. she has no carers going in at the moment as she is physically able to manage, after a fashion. although her balance is dreadful. she has also stopped cooking for herself and fridge/freezer remains full of food. don't know what she is living on, apart from my frequent visits when i make sure she eats something. also does not change her clothes.
I feel completely out of my depth over this and would appreciate any advice anybody could give me. thank you.
Hi Pam

First off don't worry about the appointment - if the Doctor (usually a Geriatric Psychiatrist) is anything like Mum's was he/she will be very kind and patient. Mum didn't really know why he came to see her, but was full of praise ("What a nice man" Image ) when he left. He chatted to her for a while with no input from me and then we got her to go and make us all a cup of tea so he could get my input (when asked how she passed her time, my lovely Mum said she did all her own housework, shopping,decorating, gardening and still went to work (she was 84 at the time Image ).

Mum was put on Aricept to slow down the disease and I tried various ways of ensuring she took it, but in the end had to go over every day to make sure ! Usually it is prescribed at bedtime but it can cause sleep disturbances so Mum took her's in the morning - I used to make little notes to say which tablets to take and when to take them and leave the note with the tablets by the kettle but after I found a stash of them in her dressing gown pocket I took to visiting her daily and watching her take them.

I think you have probably come to the point of needing to consider someone coming in daily to make sure she is taking her medication, eating and changing her clothes. Perhaps have someone come in the morning to help her get ready for the day ? Assist her with washing/dressing, get her some breakfast and at the same time dispense her meds. Your Mum might actually enjoy having someone calling in regularly - mine did after the initial resistance; although we didn't continue with them after I moved in with her. The Doctor who comes out to you will have suggestions and should be able to make some initial arrangements for you.

Also visit the Alzheimer's Society's website - it has lots of information and suggestions on how to look after someone with dementia.
Hi Pam,

Just wanted to wish you luck for today. Hopefully your concerns can be addressed to some degree.

My mum's carers come in twice a day and prompt medication. In fact that is all they do - make a cup of coffee, check all is OK and do meds. That part can hopefully be resolved.

You are ahead of me and mum. Mum's memory seems to be getting worse week by week - she is now convinced that those people who live with her Image are to blame for everything. We are still on waiting list for memory clinic.

Let us know how you get on. Love anne