[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
What's the Funniest Thing that has happened today? - Page 6 - Carers UK Forum

What's the Funniest Thing that has happened today?

For issues specific to caring for someone with dementia.
88 posts
Anne001 wrote:These are really funny. Some of mum's little gems (well,they made me laugh).

1) At church service, taking communion to vicar :roll: :

Not bad crackers, but a nice bit of cheese would go nicely.

2) Looking at me in casual clothes:

I know you're looking after me now, but there's no need to let yourself go. If you go out in those shoes, people will think you're a lesbian

3) Mum: we need to buy J a birthday card (sister)
Me (gently) : Mum, J died a few years ago
Mum: well, that will save us some money then. No flashy card for her needed.

4) Cousin (dressed as witch for home Halloween party): What do you think of my skull earrings? Anne bought me them
Mum: looks like sort of tarty thing she would buy.

5) Mum looking for non-existent stepdad and his equally non-existent girlfriend for the 20th time that day:
Me: I think they've gone to Southend for the day. I expect they will be back later.
Mum: Now, I know you're lying. They always hated Southend.

ABSOLUTELY HILARIOUS! Thanks for those - gave me the best laugh for ages, I loved (3) and (5), but I loved (2) as well, oh heck - I loved them all!! We should put them in a book!!! (2) sounds just like my Mum and she did not have dementia - but she did have a way with her..... Grandson brings his lovely young girlfriend now wife :) to meet his 'Nana' and 'Nana' says 'Oh 'D' is lovely but hasn't she got thick ankles !! Shhhhhhhh please!!
My husband broke his finger, on the hand affected by the stroke. He forgets he had that hand lots of times, but the other day it was bothering him. I explained that the finger had been broken. No he said, the vet told me it's not broken!
Not strictly today but earlier in the week Dad was watching a cookery program- I htink it was The Great British Bake Off. The carer was int he kitchen and Dad came to find me to tell me that I must tell the carer to take the 3 pastries out of the oven as he wasn't hungry at thi stime of night and didn't want them in his room. I asked him to show me the oven and I could show him it was empty and switched off. He took me back into his rooma nd pointed at the TV still insisting they were taken out of the oven :lol:
Hubby does things like that. Yesterday when I walked in, after a lovely greeting of ' Oh, how have you found me, we didn't arrange where to meet". ( Happy I had found him I add). Then he was looking for a brooch, that was on Bargain Hunt. Said he was thinking of selling it?! Can't even remember how I distracted from that. Way of life for me now. Like you Henrietta, not exactly funny. In fact rather sad to me. I mustn't distract from the humour , so I apologise.
My son who's 31 has only just started to communicate with me. He has autism on the lower end.
We have chats now about his day at the end of the day.
He'd had a seizure that day.
Me~So what do the seizures sound like
Him~ makes this careful OOOOooooo noise.
Me~Let me hear that again
Him~OOOOooooo
Me~ Gosh they sound really naughty
Him~Yes, I told them to GET OUT.
Pet- yes sorry - as you say not really funny-probably why I didn't post on the day when it wasn't very funny at all.
Sometimes it's hard to get the balance right between respecting the PWD and recognising it as illness and seeing the funny side of things to keep your own sanity as a carer.

Charm- sounds like he's got a good coping mechanism
We both had a laugh!

Me: I wish I could shake off all the problems with our situation (it's quite overwhelming

Him: What situation?

Me: Are you kidding, or do you mean it?

Him; I mean it, what situation are we in?

Oh, dear, I had a laugh and he joined in.........
Oh Mary
He sounds just like Dad - there is nothing wrong with him at all -it is everyone else ! Everything is perfect - that is until he feels like moaning. :roll:

This morning Dad called me because he couldn't move and get out of bed,. He said he could move his feet and nothing else because a piece of string (imaginary) was holding him down. He asked for scissors so he could cut the string and get up.
Was shouting at nurse this morning so I sent off urine sample to surgery in case he has UTI but now I don't think he does. Asked him at lunch time if he felt ok and said "Yes of course-why?" He's been ok this afternoon.
Henrietta wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:26 pm
Oh Mary
He sounds just like Dad - there is nothing wrong with him at all -it is everyone else ! Everything is perfect - that is until he feels like moaning. :roll:

This morning Dad called me because he couldn't move and get out of bed,. He said he could move his feet and nothing else because a piece of string (imaginary) was holding him down. He asked for scissors so he could cut the string and get up.
Was shouting at nurse this morning so I sent off urine sample to surgery in case he has UTI but now I don't think he does. Asked him at lunch time if he felt ok and said "Yes of course-why?" He's been ok this afternoon.
I am beginning to learn that this is how it goes!!!
Phone conversation yesterday after he had dialled a number..... one sided but hilarious to imagine what they thought at the number he did dial....

" I need to cancel my appointment for having my toe nails cut.
What do you mean you are a financial auditing company?
I don't want a financial auditing company, I want to speak to the lady who cuts my toe nails, where is she?
Oh, they've put the phone down! How rude of them!"
LOL- I bet that brightened someone's day. :lol:
88 posts