[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
What is a normal drop with dementia... - Page 2 - Carers UK Forum

What is a normal drop with dementia...

For issues specific to caring for someone with dementia.
The more help you have, the longer the loved one can stay at home.
If someone doesn't have over £23,000 in savings, then SSD will pay some or all of the costs of caring. £400 a week might sound a lot, but residential in my area costs £1,000 - £1,500 per week.
So make it clear that you want to continue caring as long as possible, to avoid residential care, but you MUST have some help to continue.
bowlingbun wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:04 pm
The more help you have, the longer the loved one can stay at home.
If someone doesn't have over £23,000 in savings, then SSD will pay some or all of the costs of caring. £400 a week might sound a lot, but residential in my area costs £1,000 - £1,500 per week.
So make it clear that you want to continue caring as long as possible, to avoid residential care, but you MUST have some help to continue.
Thanks BB,
At the moment we are good with any physical demands...my person is still able to get washed dressed go to the toilet on her own...we deal with the rest. We don't have any plans to move her into residential care ever...is this unrealistic thinking? I realise we will need help at some point...can this be arranged at home though?
Yes, absolutely! This was the subject of a Panorama programme a very long time ago. I can't be sure of the spelling though. Search Continuing Healthcare Point on or Poynton. Also Grogan case. Look at the H "Framework " too.