walk in baths and stair lifts

For issues specific to caring for someone with dementia.
having time off to look after mum has made me realise we need to sort some things out to make her life more easier and top of the list is a walk in bath shes not a fan of showers,the bathrooms pretty small and would mean i would have to use the same bath ,as for the stairs they go up straight then for final 3 stairs it turns at a right angle so i think looking at diffent stair lifts it would be a curved lift ,if anyone can recomend any lifts or baths then would be grateful
Hi Webby,

Would be a good idea to have an assessment from your local Occupational Therapy team - you can self refer, although there will probably be a waiting list. They would have details of suitable baths (or bath 'chair' lifts if Mum is still relatively mobile) and stair lifts. You might also be eligible for some financial assistance.
hi suzie,do you know how to get hold of team would that be through the hospital,im assuming we wont get any help because of mums saving,she is pretty agile i tried to get her into bath this morning but there was no way she could get in,could be because of water infection,its not something i want to start till spring so dont mind waiting as we can manage for now
There are OT teams based at hospitals but they are usually more concerned with arranging care plans/equipment for patients being discharged from hospital.

Your GP's surgery should have the phone number for the team based in the community - alternatively try looking on your local council website - it will probably be listed under Adult Services (what used to be known as Social Services).

When we needed a bath lift for Mum I found our team listed in the telephone directory Image I actually took Mum to their offices for an assessment as the waiting list for a home visit was so long - they had a room set up like a bathroom where they were able to assess her abilities.
great thanks that sounds good will check online now ,thanks for your help
they won't fund a stairlift for a dementia sufferer because of safety issues,they wouldn't for my wife,personally i think the walkin bath might not be the safest thing to have upstairs either,a wetroom is a far better option.
Hello Webby,
When my husband was first ill, the occupational people gave us a bath lift which goes up level with the top of the bath and then you can lower them into the water. It is like a chair. Apparently you can get ones which will slope you back for more relaxation but ours is not like that.
Now my husband who has dementia & Parkinsons we felt we needed a stair lift which we paid for as the council would not fund one for people with dementia. Our stairs are straight up and the company from Baldock, Herts were very good and installed it in a day and it was done just before xmas when my husband came out of hospital. Their stairlifts cover all the safety issues the council and others bought up. Yours might be dearer than ours as you have the curve. My husband does not like the water from a shower coming down on him either.
When I have been in favour of a walk in bath, my daughter who is a nurse reminded me that the trouble with them is that you have to get in and then run the water and run it out before you can step out.
Hope the above might be of some help.
thanks daffy im hoping the water infection was the cause of her not managing bath and stairs although she is miles brighter now and before infection was a very active 85yr old,chair lift sounds a good idea will look into that
Hello Webby,
I hate to be a dampener on these things but it seems the more often they have these water infections, I have found each one takes abit more away from them. On 20th November, my husband got one and it took everything away from him ie. how to feed himself, hold a cup, walk. He has regained alot of his physical strength but lost more mentally. That is why as time goes on we need more & more aids. 85 - a great age. My husband is 81. The dementia started extremely slowly years ago. The Parkinsons only seemed to show its head 2 and a half years ago when he had his kidney out. His quality of life I'm afraid is not here now.
hi daffy sorry to hear about your hubby,mum seems really bright today,shes drinking for england at mo glad its not beer or she would be under table! just ate whole bowl of lentil soup and jelly still has problem with eating anything solid just tried her with her favourate choclate biscuit but no go will keep persevering