[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Vascular Dementia and Broken Neck - Discharge Meeting - Page 2 - Carers UK Forum

Vascular Dementia and Broken Neck - Discharge Meeting

For issues specific to caring for someone with dementia.
Well how did it go, 5 health professionals telling me all about my Mum's needs, talking over each other myself and my Mum, even answering questions that were put to her without waiting for a reply from her. They wanted me to commit to a Continuing Healthcare Checklist complete and agree with what they said there and then. I said that was not possible as they had sprung that on me, I had asked the question days before the meeting if this had been done or was going to be done at meeting and was told NO.

They are really pushing for Mum to come home with careers four times a day and nurses coming in to meet medical needs (2.5 hours a day). The rest to be picked up by family (only 2 family members available to help). Would be alone all night once put to bed, unable to walk on zimmer without supervision. Say they will arrange another meeting once they have gathered some more information on areas that we did not agree the category.

Awaiting up date and going to write another list of questions by first will be;

1. Would you be considering sending her home if there was no family support?

Lots of good info on web, so any personal experience of this process or tips would be great.

Many thanks
In she needs four carer visits plus nurse visits then they must do the CHC checklist, WITH YOU, before discharge. If CHC is granted, then all care is free. Make sure you read through both the checklist and the CHC Framework. In the end I printed off the relevant sections and highlighted the most important bits. Apparently the hospital where mum was didn't even have a hard copy. They were a bit stunned when I could say, without referring to notes, which pages, sections, and subsections were relevant!!! I do that sort of thing on purpose now just to show whoever I'm dealing with that they can't bully me by their vague statements.
Oh Dear! Here we go again.
All I can tell you is a lovely caring wife I met at the assessment hospital has taken her husband home twice. He has Alzheimer's, and also has or still has prostate cancer. She just didn't cope, and now he's at the same nursing home as my husband. She is worn out, frantic with worry and fear, where as if they had agreed the CHC funding to start with, her husband possibly would be more settled, she definitely would have had rest and not be so worn out and ill with it all. It's never an easy situation, but now she's ill and needing medication, so frankly more costly to NHS.
Not much help to you except I know. Keep up the fight, stay strong and focused. Thinking of you.
Well done Bernadette. :D
Sounds like you coped brilliantly and were well prepared. Bet it was still scary tho!
Xx
MrsA
Thank you all, yes think will print off guidelines and redo the form. They kept starting at C and making her fit that box.

On some there was no debate but much debate on challenging behaviour, they all interpreted this as aggressive, however my Mum has high functioning vascular dementia and confabulates and has distraction as a coping strategy with a high desire to please. I find this behaviour very challenging as would not say if in pain, or press alarm if in trouble at home would just sit and wait. Does not or can no longer answer long winded questions and would rather someone else made the decision for her.

Going to use as many delay tactics as possible as it is only 8 weeks until she visits spinal unit again so may well get some more answers.
Thanks for all advice they have now completed the checklist. Hopefully should not get a full assessment.

Will keep you posted.
Hopefully that should read "now" rather than "not"? (I have disobedient fingers too!!!)
Thank you for spotting that error, yes indeed it should read. Thanks for all advice they have now completed the checklist. Hopefully should now get a full assessment.

Will keep you posted.